Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'd Like to Find The Guy That Invented Readyloads....

Re: I'd Like to Find The Guy That Invented Readyloads....

The only problem I've had is using RD's in a Pol. 545 back. I bend the metal clip up slightly with my finger so it grips better in the holder. Maybe you're squezzing the envelope too much when pulling it out of the holder and breaking the film loose from the metal strip? When I pull on the envolope I make sure I can feel the film staying put.

The only problem I have so far had with either system was not pulling the packet sleeve out far enough. So far no failures, even when mixing Kodak to Fuji and the other way around on systems.

I realize people do have problems, but I find it tough to point the finger at operator error. Sure, if things are going very fast, like one packet per second exposures, then sh*t might happen. However, that high a failure rate sounds more like a bad holder, especially over several boxes of film. I would contact Kodak.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Since the last (third?) design of the Kodak RL single shot holder, they seem very reliable.

I had a high failure rate too. I called and talked to Kodak about it. They asked me to send my holder to them. They ended up sending me a new holder. Since then I've had no failures at all.

This even though the end of the holder is visibly bowed (the "clip end" toward the lens). But it tests out perfectly fine, even with an 80mm lens wide open (to stress the depth of focus). That is, film comes out sharp corner to corner.

With this new holder I've got no complaints.

Bruce Watson

I use the latest Kodak holder with both readyloads and quickloads, and have never had a failure.

I took 6 box's of ready loads to death valley for a week of shooting a couple of months ago. I brought a holder that I have never had a problem with (I did have a proble with a previous holder). The first day The clouds were amazing, I took about 25 shots dunes canyons etc. The next morning I got up at 5am to catch sunrise. I started thinking about shooting the day before and started gettin paranoid about ready load failure, somthing just didn't seem right. So I jump out of bed and throw a sheet in the holder with it out of the camera, I pull back back the packet and the film stayed in the packet. I tried another sheet and the same thing again. Man was I pissed, fortunately I brought a box of loose film, 7 holders and a changing tent (always be prepared). I scrambled to load the holders and still got out early. Fortunately I was able to buy another box of film from another photographer, crisis averted.

When I got home I developed the film and got about 5 random shots out of the 25. It was a painful experience.

I also brought a quickload holder and 2 box's of velvia. I have never had a prblem with the fuji.

I love rl when it works but when it doesn't it's not too cool.
    I don't think it was user error because it's all I ever used, now I think I am going back to loose film.

jb

I had one failure with a Quickload jamming on me, so now I carry two Quickload holders. Fuji replaced the jammed holder (no charge, it was under warranty), and since then I've had no failures.

Before that failure I did try using Kodak film in the QL holders, which was very unreliable; I'd been told that it would work fine, and not knowing any better, I got some Kodak black and white film... most of which is still waiting to be used since I don't have a Readyload holder at the moment.

Of course, being mechanical devices there's always the possibility that something will go wrong, so I carry two. And since I'm carrying them in their original boxes complete with bubble wrap (still waiting for that pouch from Gnass that I ordered two+ weeks ago...) they take up a lot of space, also. But the peace of mind that comes with having a backup is worth the weight and bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by william linne View Post
    Had a big time paying gig. Bought two brand new Kodak Readyload holders and 4 boxes of Kodak film. Between me and the two assistants (both very experienced with Readyloads), a 40% failure rate. Which is about average for my experience with the Readyload system. What a waste of money.
    I am curious about one thing, given that this was a "big time paying gig" why didn't you test the film and readyload holders out beforehand?

I used to have problems with the old double holder. I have the current Fuji and the current Kodak holders and they work perfectly with either film...EC

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

When Kodak was producing the two-sheet ReadyLoad packets, they always worked fine in my Polaroid holder. When they went to the single-film packets, I bought a ReadyLoad holder. So far, no ReadyLoad failures.