Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking care of bellows

Re: Taking care of bellows

hello guys!

sorry for bumping this old thread. just curios on how you guys maintain your bellows.. my new (old) ansco 5x7 have a good bellows. but when i'm stretching it from its fold some parts are sticking to each other. are there any ways to prevent this? i would like to clean it as well. the inner and outer part. not sure if its a pure leather but it looks fine.. any liquid i can put so the bellows won't stick to each other and will maintain its leather well?

thanks in advance!!!

Lately I've taken a shine to Huberd's Shoe Oil for leatherwork. I wipe on a thick coat, let it set overnight, then wipe off the excess. This has worked real well for my all-weather cameras.

There are many good leather conditioner/cleaners out there. The Lexol products somewhere near the top. There are also very few leather bellows out there...

The best product for wood camera and bellows by far is lemon Pledge. Good for wood and vinyl bellows both. Not bad for metal parts either. You can put it on as much or as little as you like. It cleans and preserves...

For those in doubt. Years ago a very large power company did a test of products to clean and preserve a multitude of materials. They tested just about everything available at the time. The number one product came out lemon Pledge. It's even the best thing to use on cars although it doesn't offer as hard a protecting surface as auto polish...

Never use Armour All ! I tested that many years ago and it had a tendency to leave a gooey disgusting slime that just about can't be removed. For it's purpose, I used to use "Son of a Gun" instead and had good results with it. For everything else, I use lemon Pledge (no other 'flavor' of Pledge!).

As a slight disclaimer: I recently noticed a Pledge TV commercial that may have said they changed the formula? If so, I might still trust them but would want to do a little testing first...

I use a lot of Lemon Pledge as well for "indoor" cameras or for a good cleaning before a heavier treatment. Both Lemon Pledge and Huberd's have beeswax.

Another vote for Lemon Pledge.

Cheers, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by tenderobject View Post
    hello guys!

... i would like to clean it as well. the inner and outer part. not sure if its a pure leather but it looks fine.. ...

thanks in advance!!!
    Before you put anything on it make sure what the material is. Some older "rubber" coated bellows are beyond repair as the "rubber" has past its life...

thanks guys! the lemon pledge is also for furniture right? i think i have this one..but still, i'm not too sure with the bellows in my 5x7.. hope it would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tenderobject View Post
    thanks guys! the lemon pledge is also for furniture right? i think i have this one..but still, i'm not too sure with the bellows in my 5x7.. hope it would be fine.
    It's made for furniture, yes.