Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shen Hao HZX 4X5-IIA or Ebony RW45E as first 4x5?

Confidently Agnostic!

Re: Shen Hao HZX 4X5-IIA or Ebony RW45E as first 4x5?

You can probably resell the shen hao on here for $500 or $550 if you ever decide it's inadequate. I really like mine and I can't imagine dumping the extra money for an ebony for such a simple device as a large format camera. It's a wooden / cloth box, for christ's sake!

You can get lenses cheaper on ebay if you're willing to wait for a bargain. There's no really good reason to buy a new lens unless you can't find what you're looking for - 150mm lenses are cheap and very common. You could probably find that rodenstock or a caltar-II N 150 f/5.6 (the exact same lens made by rodenstock but branded for calumet photo) on ebay for a couple of hundred bucks.

On the other hand, if you don't care about wasting your money, buying the kit gives you everything in one shot without the hassle of waiting for auctions to end, assessing seller honesty, etc. Your call.

You won't get full movements out of a 65mm lens with the Shen Hao standard bellows. You don't even get full movements with a 90mm (a 150 should be fine though). With a 90 I can do a fair amount of tilt (pretty much enough to run out of image circle), but rise/fall is pretty constrained (maybe a centimeter at most). The bag bellows is cheap though and not too bad to change into in the field (though I do tend to avoid doing so because it is one extra hassle and not necessary for most things). Keep in mind that the image circle of a wide angle lens can be pretty small and so you won't necessarily have much movement available to you anyway. My hunch is that you could probably manage just enough forward tilt with the standard bellows for a typical landscape shot but I've never actually used a lens that wide.

You'll usually have to buy a lens board separately, but shen hao (technika-style) lens boards are about $30 at badger which isn't too bad. As mentioned, the lens board for your camera has to have the appropriate hole for your lens / shutter, so it's not really a good idea to stock up on lens boards - just buy them to fit your lenses as you acquire them.

Quote Originally Posted by parasko View Post
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of purchasing either the Ebony RW45E or the Shen Hao HZX 4X5-IIA as my first 4x5 (for landscape photography).

The Ebony costs $1950 and the Shen Hao $700. Both cameras seem to have similar features: bellows extensions, variety of movements, weight, dimensions etc.

What extras does the Ebony provide for the additional cost? Better build? Ease of use? Is the Ebony worth the $1250 extra or is this money better invested towards a second lens perhaps?

Secondly, does anyone know if either of these cameras can be used with a 65mm lens using all movements with the standard bellows?

Badger Graphics is offering a Shen Hao intro kit w/ Rodenstock APO-Sironar-N 150mm/5.6. Is this a quality lens and is this lens range popular as a first lens? I was thinking a bit longer, maybe a 210-240mm. Any recommendations for a lens in this range?

One final newbie question...do you always have to buy lens boards separately or do they come with the lens?

Apologies for so many questions.

Doug Dolde

Get the Ebony..they smell nice. Then order a new groundglass/fresnel from Bill Maxwell.

And get a Schnieder Super Symmar XL 110mm lens as your first one.

I wouldn't rush to get a 65mm early on, that is very extreme lens for 4x5 and you'll want to get a firm grip on technique and focusing before using it.

Another vote for economy, get a Shen and a 135-150-180 Rodenstock Sironar or Schneider Symmar, 10 holders, a good meter and a really good tripod/head combo. Save the left over cash for film and fun. Get a Polaroid 545 and a couple boxes of film and accelerate your learning curve.

Or better yet get a metal Toyo A or Wista SP or something that won't fall apart like some wobbly wooden toy

Thanks all for your advice. Very comprehensive!

I have decided to go with the Shen Hao. I will probably also purchase a 150mm lens to start with, so the kit at Badger Graphics does look promising.

A few more queries re: the Shen Hao:
    1. Is anybody using Shen Hao accessories for focusing, such as viewfinders, or is the dark cloth the most accurate method?
    2. The additional purchase of the fresnel gg option is a must for this camera. True?
    3. I have read elsewhere that the rear standard of the camera does not lock down tight and a thicker washer is required to tighten the locking mechanism. Has this been fixed on more recent versions of the camera or is this something Badger Graphics could fix for me prior to shipping?

Thanks again for your previous responses.

Quote Originally Posted by parasko View Post
    Thanks all for your advice. Very comprehensive!

I have decided to go with the Shen Hao. I will probably also purchase a 150mm lens to start with, so the kit at Badger Graphics does look promising.

A few more queries re: the Shen Hao:
    1. Is anybody using Shen Hao accessories for focusing, such as viewfinders, or is the dark cloth the most accurate method?
    2. The additional purchase of the fresnel gg option is a must for this camera. True?
    3. I have read elsewhere that the rear standard of the camera does not lock down tight and a thicker washer is required to tighten the locking mechanism. Has this been fixed on more recent versions of the camera or is this something Badger Graphics could fix for me prior to shipping?

Thanks again for your previous responses.
    In our review of the camera, we found the stock groundglass to be more than adequate for normal lenses such as your proposed 150mm.

Most people use dark cloths, but the focusing tubes (covered in a previous issue) are becoming very popular. I now carry a focusing tube wherever I take my Linhof.

While the rear standard locking mechanism of the Shen-Hao was not as precise as the other movements on the camera, we had no trouble locking it down with the stock mechanism. I saw no need for any additional washer.

In short, go with the camera "as is", and get yerself a focusing cloth or focusing tube and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

The Ebony cameras are among the best made cameras available. Whether they are worth the extra money is something only you can decide.

Before buying a camera may I suggest reading

Getting Started in Large Format that is available in the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site

www.viewcamera.com

There are several other articles there as well that may be very helpful

and here is some additional reading

Using the View Camera by Jim Stone
    Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga
    Using the View Camera that i wrote.

Check your local library

If it is possible I would suggest coming to the View Camera conference in Louisville June 29-July 1. The trade show is free to anyone who walks in and you will be able to see and fondle these cameras before you have to make any decision about buying anything. The Conference is at the Brown Hotel in Louisville. A Conference program is on the view camera web site - the link is at the bottom of the home page.

I do recommend one of the screen brighteners as they will make the image much easier to see on the gg regardless of the lens or lighting conditions. Bromwell makes one as does Linhof. We have reviewed both and found them to be worth the expense. We have tried repeatedly to review the brightener called Satin Snow but have never been able to get one despite several requests. It is my understanding that they are back ordered much of the time.

As for lens selection that becomes a very personal matter. I gave up on 'normal' lenses many years ago - they weren't slightly wide or slightly long. I've done the 90-125-180-240 setup and like it very much.

And one last comment. You will want a seperate lensboard for each lens. Not all shutters are the same size so lensboards are not necessarily interchangeable and it is a PITA to have to take lenses in and out of a lensboard in the field.

steve simmons, publisher
    View Camera magazine
    serving the large format community since 1988

I am using a focusing tube on my Shen-Hao. To test a simple fresnel, I added a page viewer magnifier from a Barnes & Noble bookstore; surprisingly good and a low cost way to see if you want to buy a better fresnel; apparantly the Ebony fresnel fits into the Shen-Hao (another option).

The rear standard locking lever can be screwed into one of two holes on that part. The way most seem to come from the factory requires pushing foreward to lock, which sometimes makes it tough to unlock. What I did with mine is to put the lever into the other hole, meaning that I pull the lever to lock the rear standard. When I want to unlock the rear standard, I push the lever. Seems to work very well, though I sometimes wish the lever was just a little longer.

I bought mine from Badger just over a year ago. When you get it, run it through all the movements. If you find any area or movement sticking a bit, you can then apply some lube to some areas. Furniture wax seems to work well for wood parts, and bicycle cable lube (white looking grease) works well on metal parts. I actually consider lube and cleaning to be an annual process.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Ted, I mean Shen Hao. 65mm lens with flat lensboard is possible to focus to infinity with standard bellows.
    Focusing 65mm lens with fresnel is much easier, for normal or long lenses there is no need to attach fresnel to ground glass. I cut off mine simply from fresnel lens purchased here: http://www.3dlens.com/fresnellens.htm, Item: #406, Page Magnifier, 180mm x 260mm (7"x10"). Cheap and works very well.
    I had to put to the rear standard locking lever one washer to make it tight enough.

What is a focusing tube and where are they available? It sound very interesting, do they work with most view cameras?
    tr

I use a 12-inch length of 6-inch diameter matter black-painted PVC pipe. If you drill two holes on the end and attach a strap, you can hang it around your neck like a big loupe. And that looks pretty cool, especially if you decorate it with some Harley biker or American eagle decals.