Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Patching bellows - best practices?

Re: Patching bellows - best practices?

It may be a bit usightly, but as Mark knows from the old bellows I sent him to copy, gaffer's tape on the outside works very well. I never tried doing it on the inside, but it could work just fine too!

I used a piece of black masking tape (available at Lowe's) to patch a spot on my bellows when it got too close to a hotlight and melted (doh!!!).

You never want to notice the smell of burning rubber in your studio. Not good... not good at all.

Frank: By laying the cloth over the bellows on the camera to eleminate light leaks are you not taking a chance to distort the bellows and goof up the foto ??? I know the is a real dum question , but I all ways thought that the bellows being moved up or down or even left to right would cause a shift ing the foto: Wish I could draw a foto for you to under stand what I am tring to get at here:!~!!Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf66 View Post
    Frank: By laying the cloth over the bellows on the camera to eleminate light leaks are you not taking a chance to distort the bellows and goof up the foto ??? I know the is a real dum question , but I all ways thought that the bellows being moved up or down or even left to right would cause a shift ing the foto: Wish I could draw a foto for you to under stand what I am tring to get at here:!~!!Lauren
    Not a dumb question. The dark cloth is not heavy enough to cause much sag, so it is not a problem. The dark cloth rests on the front standard and the rear box as well as the bellows so that may take more of the weight off of the bellows.

Shifting the bellows will not shift the image unless the lens is bumped out of alignment. Or the bellows are moved so much that it vignettes the image; which is highly unlikely.

The dark cloth works like a charm......you can also stuff it under the bellows to fix any sag.

Oh, it's quite easy for the bellows to impinge on the image, but you can check for it and avoid it. Morley Baer famously had a camera with all kinds of pinholes in the bellows and wrapped the darkcloth around it to prevent leaks.

In a similar vein, anyone have any recommendations for glue to put a seam back together? The bellows on my Linhof color are still pretty decent, but the seam came unglued anlong most of its length.

Does anyone know if B & S is still in business? No answer to emails. Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Krueger View Post
    In a similar vein, anyone have any recommendations for glue to put a seam back together? The bellows on my Linhof color are still pretty decent, but the seam came unglued anlong most of its length.
    Headliner adhesive from local auto-parts works pretty good. Just cover adjoining areas so you only get spray where you really want it. Wait a sec and press back together. Has worked on several old beaters I have, and on my enlarger bellows.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Kaye View Post
    Does anyone know if B & S is still in business? No answer to emails. Bernie
    I've ordered from them fairly recently. Have you called them?