Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: At sunset what color is the landscape?

Re: At sunset what color is the landscape?

Well there you go. It seems I learn something everyday. I thought the color at sunset was black.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jirka View Post
    I thought the color at sunset was black.

Only if you close your eyes.

Tight.

The color of sunset is the exact reason I use a highly over saturated film to take the image, to emphasize the dramatic warm orange colors...besides manipulation in the computer to get the color you want, you might try a few of the less saturated films to reach the color your after...

Quote Originally Posted by riooso View Post
    ...when does it get to be a question of "realism" like taking a telephone pole out of the scene? Doesn't matter?
    It's still a question of intent. If you intend for your print to be documentary, then you leave the telephone pole in. If you intend for the print to express your awe of the untrammeled landscape, then you take the telephone pole out. Either way, it definitely matters.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by riooso View Post
    Thanks guys. I know that I can do anything to the image that I wish but when does it get to be a question of "realism" like taking a telephone pole out of the scene? Doesn't matter?

Thanks,
    Richard
    Every photograph is a fiction to one extent or another. Remember that the photograph and the thing photographed are rather different.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Society has moved ever more towards dripping oversaturated gaudy colors. Why only move slightly in the other direction. Switch to black and white. Problem solved. It works so well, you won't even bother shooting sunsets or rainbows at all any more.

"How do I know this colour is red?", Wittgenstein asked. "...because I have learned English", was his reply.

You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Truthfully, what does it matter? At the end of the day, especially for an artist, there is no such thing as accurate color. (Heck, ask a color-management guru and they'll even tell you there is no such thing as perfectly accurate color, only better approximations to it.) We all "see" through our own internal filter sets, subconciously applied or not; film records through its own filter of physical limitation as does digital; scanning and/or printing and/or web then impart their characteristics to the final image. If it works for you, I say it works.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Truthfully, what does it matter? At the end of the day, especially for an artist, there is no such thing as accurate color. (Heck, ask a color-management guru and they'll even tell you there is no such thing as perfectly accurate color, only better approximations to it.) We all "see" through our own internal filter sets, subconciously applied or not; film records through its own filter of physical limitation as does digital; scanning and/or printing and/or web then impart their characteristics to the final image. If it works for you, I say it works.
    Added to that, just as no screen will look the same, neither do our eyes, the colour you see in almost certainly not exactly the same colour that the artist sees or the printer for that matter. Some may see an RGB value as more orange or red than someone else, all that you can do is assign a number to the colour, not describe how it is experienced by a human eye. Just to throw another spanner in the works of the purists...

The following link is to a site with some comparison sunset shots of Provia and Velvia, 50 and 100.

http://www.coastalbeacons.com/Velvia...ia50vs100F.htm