Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 decision, final. Lotus or Canham?

Re: 8x10 decision, final. Lotus or Canham?

But Brian, you are perfectly agreeing with me and just don't realize it; that is, if you truly will do what you just said.

ALL THINGS CREATED EQUAL, aesthetics are a meaningful way to make a final decision, but in this case, the cameras aren't equal. Each has strengths and weaknesses that should be more important than the aesthetics of the camera.

Do you buy your cars based solely on which model is available in the color you like? I hope not. More likely, you figure out the features you want, and determine which auto meets that feature set, and then you pick a color from those available in the model you've decided upon.

Unfortunately, I suspect people purchase camera gear based on some notion of aesthetics rather than function far too often. When people finally get past that notion is the point where the amateur ends and the profession mindset begins.

---Michael

Let's make one thing perfectly clear: People generally base their buying decisions first by financial boundaries, but within that boundary primarily on their perception of the object's status... And usually, preference given to the later will often drive the initial boundary of the former higher.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky View Post
    I found the Lotus cameras a little more floppy than the Canham when I tried it about 7 years ago.
    ---Michael
    The Lotus rapid field 8x10 I owned was the most stable wooden field camera I have ever used - and that includes a $9000 Ebony SV810UE. Simply awesome. I now have a Phillips Compat II 8x10 - it has a lot less extension and is certainly no more rigid than my Lotus was. If the Lotus is in your budget, it is , in my opinion, a superior product to the Canham (and a whole lot more expensive too); obviously, it won't improve anyone's "vision" though...

Big M,
    I´ll stitch contact prints, very un-digitally
    - now, as to the looks: They are hardly worth mentioning of course, but among the very few things one can judge from pictures. As to issues such as which one´s more rigid etc., I can choose who of You I want to believe - and as I find the Canham better looking, (less nostalgic, less like aristocratic garden furniture) I think I want to believe that it`s more rigid, too. Also, I am used to metal cameras (Linhof) and the Canham might be called a metal camera in disguise, no?
    My head is spinning/ It´s like a whirlpool, it never ends
    And as to buying locally: There´s a difference between 4 kilos of, say, grapes imported from California and 4 kilos of camera from Arizona that should last for ever+3 days. Besides, Salzburg is the richest place on earth, I don´t worry about them very much.

I'm weighng in late here but I will offer a bit more. First, I have never shot with a Lotus just folled with it and they do seem rigid. As for the Canham, I shoot all the time with a Canham 57 and it is rigid. To me, the Canham wood cameras are simply metal cameras in a wooden box since most of the works are metal.

Now, to further complicate your life, why not a Gandolfi? Now, they are the absolutely most rigid cameras I have seen or used in any size. Built like a rock. Solid. Solid.

Traditional, I guess?

- which costs 3 900 british pounds ---
    but I think the Variant looks better - like a Canham, ha ha! But no rear shift!
    And hey I am not absolutely insisting on a tank-like camera - just want one that does not annoy me by bouncing around.
    Besides, what i want is not, to have a camera; but to make photographs.

Don't count out an Arca. The new 5x7 is amazing..Evan Clarke (shameless Arca Swiss fan)

Michael, I had the chance to meet two years ago the owners of Lotus. They are a wonderful couple of people an the products they manufacture are outstanding. In my opinion, since you are few hours away from their shop (a few miles from Salzburg), it would be good to pay them a visit. I never shoot with a Lotus or a Caham (my 4x5 cameras are Wisner and SH) and the 8z10 I own is a Weham) but the gereral impression I had playing in the shops with both camera was that the Lotus is much a superior product. Consider also that, if you have any trouble with the camera, it can be restored/checked by the original manufacturer just 300 km away. Get the Lotus and let us know.

Ciao from Italy

i've just tried a canham, i won't buy one... too much wind in my area !