Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Packpack - suggestions

4x5 Packpack - suggestions

Hi,

I need something to put my horseman 45FA + 3 lenses + 2 rf holders into, was thinking of a back pack.

Any suggestions as to what's the most practical layout and cost effective?

Have seen many recommendations for f64 packs, .. I can't seems to find a web presence for these packs, anyone know a good web site I can check out what they have to offer.

Thanks - Steve

Re: 4x5 Packpack - suggestions

I've been researching backpacks for my kit too. I've settled on the Photo Backpaker system...I just need to save up some money. Check out their stuff at:

http://www.photobackpacker.com/

I like the f64 backpacks for both 4x5 and 8x10 (and even my 35mm DSLR). I use the LARGE size for 35mm and 4x5 and the XL for 8x10. I can get my 4x5 body with one lens mounted, 4 to 6 other lenses, 20 - 40 sheets of readyload film, holder, loupe, meter and darkcloth inside the large pack. Pockets on the inside flap hold filters, tools, cleaning, spare meter battery, etc. The XL has two main compartments and I can easily fit my Arca 8x10 in the lower compartment with 4 large lenses, meter and loupe in the upper. An outer back pocket holds three 8x10 film holders. Both packs come with removable side pockets, large enough to hold two smaller water bottles each. B&H usually has them in stock: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

I have stopped using the dedicated lens compartment dividers in these packs and instead wrap each lens in a lens wrap -- I tend to swap lens sets around depending on subject and location, and find this makes the most efficient use of pack space and offers superior protection to each lens. Plus the caps never fall off. I then use a sharpie to mark the focal length on a small strip of male white Velcro which sticks to the outer surface of the lens-wraps for fast/easy ID.

The main upside to these packs is they are lightweight. The downside is they are lightweight and thus the suspension systems are not very sophisticated -- fine for a few miles, but not a lot longer. For longer day-trips however, these packs serve as padded cases that slip right inside my proper Dana Designs mountaineering backpack.

For extended backpacking trips, the gear gets trimmed to bare minimum, each item is packed in its own wrap, and placed directly in the Dana pack with my normal pack gear.

Lastly, I have found a Domke shoulder bag quite useful for location shooting. In the J1, I can stand my Ebony 45SU upright at one end with lens mounted and store 4 wrapped lenses, readyloads and holder in along with it, darkcloth stuffed inside as extra padding. Loupe, meter and extras are in the side pockets. The big advantage here is I can easily grab the gear and go without having to zip up flaps or fuss getting into a backpack. I grab and go to the next location, drop the bag and start right in. Everything remains quickly accessable and protected from the ground.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

There are two general ways to go: using a dedicated photo pack, or buying a backpack and tailoring it to your needs with accessory cases. (Perhaps the photobackpacker system is a hybrid of these two.) If I'm working from the car I prefer the ease of use of my LowePro Trekker AW packs - mine is heavy but everything is right there; open the main flap and I'm ready to go. If I'm hiking more than a couple miles I use a well-fitted backpack designed for backpacking (currently I'm using an Arcteryx brand (Bora 55), but there are plenty of good packs out there - Dana, Gregory, Etc.) My LowePro carries okay, but my Arcteryx fits like a glove and is a good deal lighter. My Arcteryx is composed of one large watertight compartment - it can rain as hard and as long as it wants and I don't have to worry about my gear. Coated cordura leaks.

A big factor is: what else will you carry beside photography equipment. Clothes food and water don't mix well with lenses so you'll need to have a compartment for these extra - strapping things on here and there decreases carry efficiency, so it's better to have these extras in the pack.

As Jack points out, you'll want different systems for different applications. Sure, some folks carry everything in one big pack and use this set up for everything - but some folks are stronger than others.

Steve, if you are interested in a Lowe Pro Trekker .... brand new .... at a great price send me an email or PM.
    Last edited by Ted Harris; 29-Apr-2007 at 04:42.

For day trips with the 4x5, I use a combination of fanny pack, fly-fishing vest and a padded pouch slung over my shoulder. I find it better than a backpack for scrambling over rocks, climbing, etc.

My fanny pack holds a wooden folding field camera (Wista DX or the like), four lenses (90mm SA f8, 135mm Nikkor W, 240mm Fujinon A, and 300mm Nikkor M), one stored in the camera, the others in their own homemade box, a set of 6 52mm filters, and a set of 6 67mm filters, both in folding pouches. My darkcloth straps onto the outside of the fanny pack.

The fly-fishing vest holds Pentax spot meter, viewing filter, tape measure, focusing loupe, flashlights, etc., etc. 6 filmholders, my exposure record notebook and an Ektar 203mm f7.7 fit into a small padded pouch that I carry cross-body over my shoulder. (In practice, the Ektar and the 135 take turns between the pouch and the camera.)

The tripod is usually in my hand except for more dangerous climbing and scrambling, when it gets strapped on to the bottom of the fanny pack. A water bottle hangs from my belt or from a strap on the vest. Sandwiches get stuffed into pockets.

I feel I have better balance with this rig than with the backpacks I have tried. Additionally, the fanny pack has a shoulder strap that allows me to simply unsnap the belt buckle, swing it around to my side and work out of it like an over-the-shoulder bag. I never have to set my gear on the ground. (I have worked knee-deep in water a time or two this way.) When I set up, the pouch with the filmholders gets hung on the knob for the center post of my tripod. I can work out of it there and it provides some extra weight for the tripod on windy days. I can get the vest on under a heavy coat in the winter or wear it over just a tee-shirt in summer. When canyoning or going downhill in rough terrain, I often wear the fanny pack on the front so I can sit down and slide on my butt if I need to in tight situations. It is also easy to take the whole rig off and lower it ahead of me if I need to.

I did have to do some shopping around before I found the right combination of right-sized fanny pack, short enough fishing vest (so it rides above the fanny pack) and right-sized pouch for the filmholders, etc. I am really happy with the compactness and ease of portability of this set up.

Hope this helps,

Doremus Scudder

I have an F64 backpack and I find it too big for me. I usually carry three lenses, four film holders, changing bag, box each of Tmax and 100VS, spotmeter, set of filters, and a Linhof Technikardan. All this fits nicely in a Tamrac Expedition 5. If you need additional gear you can buy add ons that attach to the bag .
    Hope this helps you. BTW this bag is usually for a 35mm or medium format camera.

Nad45

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    My fanny pack holds a wooden folding field camera (Wista DX or the like), four lenses (90mm SA f8, 135mm Nikkor W, 240mm Fujinon A, and 300mm Nikkor M), one stored in the camera, the others in their own homemade box, a set of 6 52mm filters, and a set of 6 67mm filters, both in folding pouches. My darkcloth straps onto the outside of the fanny pack.
    Doremus Scudder
    I love to see a photo of your fanny pack (with something to give size reference), .. I can't imagine how large it must be to fit a camera and 4 lens, .. I made up a fanny pack for my Canon F1 (with lens) + 2 additional lenses. and I thought that was on the large size.

This is one of the two dilemmas I'm facing. I already have too many photo bags as it is, and yet I don't have a back back that will fit my field camera. The last short hike I did, I had to carry the camera in a a shoulder (which I find very uncomfortable). I'm looking into a Photo Trekker AW II as a good compromise between a true hiker's back-pack and a dedicated backpack. I have a feeling this will not be the last backpack I buy.

Actually, I've switched gears in the last few minutes.

Taking into account what Jack, Eric and Doremus said, how about an F.64 Large (the smaller size) for light excursions.

Throw the whole thing into a Bora 50 or whatever for longer trips?