Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Petzval Picture Post Thread

Re: Petzval Picture Post Thread

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    yup. it swirls. 8.5 KG! wow! i would love to see a picture of it one day also. what si the lens diameter?
    as promised.

Laura for seizing..

Here's a ridiculous Petzval set-up I've just started using. Its a small Darlot lens (about 4.5 inches) and it barely covers 4x5. I discovered that a copal 3 shutter will fit over the end without vignetting. It looks really silly but it works like a charm and its very nice to have a range of shutter speeds now.

The portrait was shot on Polaroid 665 film.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Aharonian View Post
    Here's a ridiculous Petzval set-up I've just started using. Its a small Darlot lens (about 4.5 inches) and it barely covers 4x5. I discovered that a copal 3 shutter will fit over the end without vignetting. It looks really silly but it works like a charm and its very nice to have a range of shutter speeds now.

The portrait was shot on Polaroid 665 film.
    Funky set-up, and a truely beautiful result!
    Last edited by Emil Schildt; 6-May-2009 at 10:37. Reason: misspelling AGAIN....

Here's one of my first wet plates--a 5"X7" Alumitype shot on my 8x10 Kodak 2D with an 8" Darlot magic lantern Petzval. About 25 seconds wide open.

Ok, I'm taking some liberties here. This was shot on a modified MF camera, but it IS a LF Petzval lens. And this IS the LF Lens category. This is from one of Jim Galli's wee petzvals. This is currently my favorite lens.
    The image is a gumover pt/pd.
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

And another....

Quote Originally Posted by mtfilm View Post
    It appears to me, the trick here is matching up the right camera format with exactly the right lens, so that you don't have too much swirl -- where it appears right on the edges, and not too much. I have no idea how you control that. I guess just by testing.
    what i do is i start at infinity and then begin to focus closer watching the swirls come in. you can also vary the distance to the swirl material. using highlights like tree branches work great.

i have a voigtlander 7B that is designed for 8x10 and it swirls on 8x10 at infinity....so not all have to be used on larger than intended formats. most of the early (1870 and before) lenses have more swirl.

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    as promised.

Laura for seizing..
    oh baby! i want one! thanks for the picture.

here is the 7B that i was talking about. 8x10 film at a bit less than infinity. (sorry if it is a re post)
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Big Bend

what i do is i start at infinity and then begin to focus closer watching the swirls come in. you can also vary the distance to the swirl material. using highlights like tree branches work great.

i have a voigtlander 7B that is designed for 8x10 and it swirls on 8x10 at infinity....so not all have to be used on larger than intended formats. most of the early (1870 and before) lenses have more swirl.

oh baby! i want one! thanks for the picture.

here is the 7B that i was talking about. 8x10 film at a bit less than infinity. (sorry if it is a re post)
    I have absolutely no experience with these lenses, but what surprised me, looking at Kerik's image was the swirl limited to the background. The boy's head overlay's the swirl and that was a completely new observation for me.

I'll get me a swirly lens one of these days.

Eddie,

Nice effect. What would have happened if you'd had that man come closer to the camera? The swirl effect would have been reduced?

Is it written down anywhere a list of some of the buzzwords or brands that you'd look for, if you were trying to find a lens style like this, for traditional 8x10 film camera? (Or should I say "modern" film camera, compared to collodion?)

Petzval?
    Are there any "inches" or lengths to look for, for swirl on 8x10?

Feels funny to have serious discussion, calling this "swirl" but I guess it works. If I was to confess, I do fake-swirl, in Photoshop, by doing a 250px feather around the edges, and then do a Radial Blur, using "Best/1" setting. But that would be heresy to admit that here, on this forum, I suppose. It's not the same, but when you're under the gun, doing commercial work very fast, it's the onliest option.

MTFILM,
    There are are few designs of lenses that have this affect. A Petzval is one that is most pronounced. Any brand can do it, but typically the faster f3 to f4 ones do it more. The Verito is an actual type/make, and I have an f6 Aplanat that does it. It's caused by spherical aberrations in the out of focus area, especially if there are highlights and a busy background. So basically the subject won't ever swirl, unless the subject is out of focus and busy. There are a couple of articles on petzvals linked to in other recent posts.