Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Enlarger...HELP please talk me out of it!!

Re: 8x10 Enlarger...HELP please talk me out of it!!

Perhaps the negs just weren't sharp enough??????? Just maybe, because seriously I can't see that even a paper like Ilford Warmtone for contact printing reduces the sharpness in my images....... The only time that happens is if a Neg isn't totally sharp. On another note though, prints always look really sweet in the water.

Oh yeah and do you have pressure between the neg and the paper?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Perhaps the negs just weren't sharp enough??????? Just maybe, because seriously I can't see that even a paper like Ilford Warmtone for contact printing reduces the sharpness in my images....... The only time that happens is if a Neg isn't totally sharp. On another note though, prints always look really sweet in the water.
    I think it is the paper surface, the 'satin,' that is doing it (ie reducing the resolution).

This post from another Forum does not indicate paper surface he tested, but the results seem consistent with what I am observing. (again, I'm looking at the prints at about 8 inches viewing distance)

Josh X, Oct 25, 2006; 09:54 a.m.
    Grayson,

"I have recently asked myself this question, but a search of the archives didn't result in much information and I haven't had time to carry out the proper experiments."

"I did contact print a negative of an Air Force resolution chart onto Ilford Multigrade IV RC. I was able to discern about 90 lp/mm on the negative under a microscope (@50x or so), but examining the contact print at the same magnification showed me that it was capable of resolving about 8-10 lp/mm. From what I have read, 8-10 lp/mm is about the limit that the naked eye can resolve."

"I don't think there were any variables that I could change in my contact printing technique that would yield better results. Perhaps different papers can resolve more lp/mm than others (for instance, Pt/Pd prints vs silver, or different brands). If I have the time to figure this out I will let everyone know. Conversely, anyone else who has done or does this experiment, please let us all know."

Quote Originally Posted by Pfeiffer Duckett View Post
    Wow is right- Now you just need to build yourself a horizontal vacuum board and a roll of 56" wide paper and you'll be right on your way to making 56x70" prints. I would stock up on D-72 if I were you.
    Maybe...I've already built a 48" x 48" vertical easel with a sheet metal face and strong rare earth magnets to hold the paper. 30 x 40 is my first milestone. If I need to go larger I may need to look at vacuum.

Finally (first post in thread was 4/07) I got a lead on an 8x10 enlarger. If anyone is willing, I would be interested in a PM telling how much you paid for your enlargers. Thanks.

I don't need to send this in a PM. I paid $127.00 on fleabay for my floorstanding Chromega 10x10 enlarger, but I had to go pick it up. (2 hr drive each way).

Paid $750 for Beseler 810MXT with Grandagon lens, digital timer, dozen 12" x 12" contrast filters and assorted darkroom items like trays and a grain focuser. Only had to drive about 15 miles to pick it up.

Excuse, it's a Rodagon lens......

Well, thats it! You guys did not talk me out of it so I had to get one!

I guess that if I really wanted to be taked out of it I would have called in to Suzy Orman's finance show and asked "Can I Afford it?" I wonder what she would say to a $14,000 Durst from Durst pro for hobbyist use....

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Well, thats it! You guys did not talk me out of it so I had to get one! ....
    Sooo, what did you get? Given the extent of this thread, you CAN'T not tell us.