Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobo ?

Jobo ?

I currently use trays to process my 4x5 sheet film but am considering a Jobo unit in an attempt to gain better consistency. There are several moderately priced units on Ebay but I don't know anything about the Jobo system and the Jobo website doesn't seem to be very informative. This leaves me not knowing what I really need. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

thanks > kenn

Re: Jobo ?

If you want to use an Expert drum, get either a CCP or a CPA. The CPP has a cold water input that allows you to bring temperatures down. However, this is not the same thing as a chiller, so if during the hotter months, your "cold" water supply is warmer than you need, that feature is about as useful as hair on a balloon. Some people invest in chillers and attach them to the cold water supply. I use a CPA and address the problem this way. I just freeze a couple of the Jobo 1L bottles of water and put them in the last two repositories.

To make the Jobo system work, you need the unit. A lift is optional, but EXTREMELY handy. You will need drums of the appropriate size for your film format. The expert drums are a PIA to open after they have been used, so a foot pump is another highly recommended optional accessory. The bottles usually come with the unit, but if for some reason you don't get them, you will definitely want to acquire a set. That's how you keep the solutions at temperature while they're waiting their turn.

For sheet film you have the 2509 reels that will hold 6 sheets of film. My experience with those was that they give excellent results as long as you leave one slot open. Not sure why that is, but it is. Also, I found them difficult to load, but I have limited use of my right arm, so that probably greatly impacted what little coordination I ever had.

The Expert 3010 will develop 10 sheets of 4x5 at a time.
    The Expert 3006 will handle 6 sheets of 5x7 or 4v5.
    The Expert 3005 will handle 5 sheets of 8x10.

Many people on this forum report good results using the print drums to develop film. I own no print drums and have never tried, so I'll leave that for someone else to address.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

2509 reels are the cheap Jobo ticket for 4x5 film. They're a little odd (at first) to load, but do the job well. Any 2500 tank will do. I use 2551 (Multitank 5).

Don't overlook the larger ATL units if you have the room for them ... they are a joy to operate.

Don't forget you can hand roll the Expert drums on the $25 Jobo roller-base.

Also the earlier 2000 series, I've used one for over 30 years now using inversion, easy and simple. I picked up a second last year from one of the forums.

Ian

Take note of this info from the JOBO website (I'll copy and paste), if you get a JOBO unit used and intend to use the Expert Drums. I was luck enough to find a CPA2 with all of the upgrades. You'll notice many people ask for serial #s on eBay auctions and this is why.

Beginning production of the CPP and CPA began with a single bearing rotation motor.

CPP Serial # ARXXXX - 10593
    CPA Serial # ARXXXX - 10312

1st Upgrade: Changed single bearing rotation motor to a double bearing rotation motor.

CPP Serial # 10594 - 20455
    CPA Serial # 10313 - 13309

2nd Upgrade: Strengthened the rotation motor circuit to accommodate larger loads, i.e. 3000 EXPERT DRUMS.

CPP Serial # 20456 - 21999
    CPA Serial # 13310 - 21999

3rd Upgrade: Changed to a stronger rotation motor (same as used in the ATL's) and strengthened the rotation motor circuit to accommodate the stronger motor.

CPP Serial # 22000 - present
    CPA Serial # 22000 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos R Herrera View Post
    Take note of this info from the JOBO website (I'll copy and paste), if you get a JOBO unit used and intend to use the Expert Drums. I was luck enough to find a CPA2 with all of the upgrades. You'll notice many people ask for serial #s on eBay auctions and this is why.

Beginning production of the CPP and CPA began with a single bearing rotation motor.

CPP Serial # ARXXXX - 10593
    CPA Serial # ARXXXX - 10312

1st Upgrade: Changed single bearing rotation motor to a double bearing rotation motor.

CPP Serial # 10594 - 20455
    CPA Serial # 10313 - 13309

2nd Upgrade: Strengthened the rotation motor circuit to accommodate larger loads, i.e. 3000 EXPERT DRUMS.

CPP Serial # 20456 - 21999
    CPA Serial # 13310 - 21999

3rd Upgrade: Changed to a stronger rotation motor (same as used in the ATL's) and strengthened the rotation motor circuit to accommodate the stronger motor.

CPP Serial # 22000 - present
    CPA Serial # 22000 - present
    This is very important because the heavier drums for 4x5 sheets will ultimately ruin the earlier motors if these processors.

I have two ATL3s (one is for spare parts only) and an ATL2plus (gave out on my 15 months ago and still have not gotten it back from the autorized Jobo repair-guy - don't ask). These units can be had very very cheap - just keep looking in the craigslist in your area. Most folks are just glad to get rid of them to save space.

I love my Jobos - they make life very easy - es[pecially with color!
    Juergen

I too love my Jobo. Got a CPP-2 used from B&H several years ago. It does just about everything except grilled cheese sandwiches.

I use a Jobo 2551 with 2 2509n reels on a Unicolor Uniroller base. I can also develop 6 rolls of 120 in this tank at one time (2 rolls on each of 3 reels). I have the "wings" for one of the 2509n reels and run 6 sheets in this one, but only do 4 sheets in the reel w/o the "wings."