Thread: Backpack suggestion for camera and laptop

Backpack suggestion for camera and laptop

I am looking to get a good backpack to carry my LF gear on a plane. The setup consists of the following at present.

Shen Hao 4x5, 3 lenses (all quite compact), 5 film holders + Calumet c2 roll holder, Spot meter, loupe and focussing hood. Currently it just about sqeezes into a Lowepro Mini trekker or a Tamrac Expedition 5. I was planning to upgrade to a Tamrac Expedition 7 but it seems that some airlines might not allow a camera bag and a laptop bag to/from the UK. In that case one of those laptop backpacks might be in order.

So I would appreciate recommendations for a laptop backpack that will hold this gear (slightly larger than the mini trekker etc) plus a 15" laptop. Carrying the laptop will not be the primary function so the laptop case should not add much bulk. In fact I could probably do with an unpadded slot that would take the laptop in one of those tight fit padded cases.

In my experience, I like the light weight and better fit of Tamrac bags but any suggestions, tips etc would be great.

Thanks,
    Anupam

Re: Backpack suggestion for camera and laptop

Lowepro

http://www.lowepro.com/

But if you like the Tamrac, get it.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Take a look at the Tamrac 619. Not a backpack, but a "messenger bag" over the shoulder style. I use mine for a complete Technika kit (4 lenses, Horseman RFH, Meter, Lee Filters/Hood,etc) + Apple 15" and it still fits under the seat in front...
    jbhogan

The mountainsmith odyssey has a dedicated laptop pocket in the front and a clamshell in the back. Great bag, if it fits you.

I have a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW for my gear. I don't normally use the computer slot for a laptop, though it fits one easily. I have taken this on a few flights, sometimes with a Sliplock 60 bag added. It is just slightly under airline regulations, and seems to fit easily in the overhead compartments.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio