Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod Leg wrapper

Tripod Leg wrapper

I want to get some wrappers that covers the whole section. Bogen sells the wrapper that covers only half of the section. My question is what is the wrapper made of? Can I get these in some hardware store?

Re: Tripod Leg wrapper

I use pipe insulation, available from Home Depot and similar places. A couple of wraps of duct tape complete the job.

I don't know what Bogen/Manfrotto uses, but many folks use foam pipe insulation held on with duct tape for this purpose. It's very inexpensive, and, when worn out, easy to replace. It comes in various diameters, six foot lengths, and is easily cut to size with scissors.
    ----------------------------------------------------

www.johnvossphotography.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Voss View Post
    I don't know what Bogen/Manfrotto uses, but many folks use foam pipe insulation held on with duct tape for this purpose. It's very inexpensive, and, when worn out, easy to replace. It comes in various diameters, six foot lengths, and is easily cut to size with scissors.
    I don't like that, because it opens in the middle and you have to glue it, or duct tape it. And it might not get a close fit, when you hold it in hand, the pipe insulation might turn around the tripod leg.
    I saw those kind of foam used on Bogen tripods also on some other products. I hope I can find it in some hardware store.

I bought some leg pads from B&H for one of my Tiltalls that were not too costly, and they've lasted for years. They used what looked like pipe insulation, but had a double-sided tape strip to keep them from turning, and there was a cloth sleeve that fit over them. They came in various sizes, and I think they are still available.

An alternative would be padded bicycle handlebar tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    I saw those kind of foam used on Bogen tripods also on some other products. I hope I can find it in some hardware store.
    Yes, one sees that sort of foam on the handles of various items....gym equipment comes to mind. I've never seen it for sale as a stand alone product, but if you do, let us know. I've never had any trouble with pipe insulation, but an alternative would be interesting to try as well.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I bought some leg pads from B&H for one of my Tiltalls that were not too costly, and they've lasted for years. They used what looked like pipe insulation, but had a double-sided tape strip to keep them from turning, and there was a cloth sleeve that fit over them. They came in various sizes, and I think they are still available.

An alternative would be padded bicycle handlebar tape.
    That is Op Tech USA leg wrapper, I tried once, but I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    I don't like that, because it opens in the middle and you have to glue it, or duct tape it. And it might not get a close fit, when you hold it in hand, the pipe insulation might turn around the tripod leg.
    It helps to have an extra pair of hands when duct tapping the plumbing insulation, but it can be done effectively and elegantly by yourself. The stuff is cheap light and durable.

Start by taking your tripod with you to the hardware store so you end up with the best diameter – it comes in two designer colors: Zone 1 and Zone 3. Buy an extra length (it's cheap) because of the learning curve. For my Gitzo pods I've learned to cut the foam a bit longer than the carbon fiber section; by doing this the foam can be positioned over the upper metal leg socket and this will help to minimize the twisting that you're worried about.

Once you've cut the foam to length and separated it longitudinally, start by taping the top and bottom with circumferential wraps - make it snug, but make sure that the longitudinal edges of the foam are parallel before securing the tape (this is one step where the extra set of hands comes in - well - handy.) Now the hard part: cut a piece of tape the length of the longitudinal opening; have someone help you close the foam as much as necessary to make it snug (you don't have to close the gap completely); position the tap over the opening and affix it with hand compression. Now just finish up with circumferential wraps at the ends - this helps to snug the foam up and prevents the longitudinal piece from peeling off with extended use. You my chose to ad another circumferential wrap in the middle, but I haven't found this necessary.

Yup, this foam works great to pad your shoulder and protect the upper legs, it's light, cheap, and it doesn't hold water. If something happens to it; or if it become battle scarred after a year or two; or if your malamute puppy thinks it’s a chew toy, you just reapply it using that extra length you purchased.

This is more detail that you want perhaps, but winters are long up here, and duct tape projects are a part of the lifestyle. Just don't get me started about blue tarps and orange plastic sleds!

Okay, fella! Be the first on your block to try this stuff....

http://www.amazon.com/Elastack-Spiro.../dp/B000ITFVNO

A little on-line searching uncovered this product. Oh the bliss of google!

How about bicycle handlebar tape? Its not as cushy as foam pads but it'll give a nice grip and it will look nice. It comes in a variety of materials and colors. Visit your local bike shop.