Thread: Archival mat board for color prints

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Archival mat board for color prints

Light Impressions suggests that non-buffered mat board be used for "chromogenic" prints. I assume that they mean type C and R papers where dyes are generated as opposed to Ciba/Ilfochromes where dyes are bleached. At least this is what we u sed to call chromogenic. Another source suggest that it was Ciba/Ilfochromes tha t needed non-buffered mats. Since most "archival" mats, including all of the 8-p ly I can find are buffered, I was wondering if anyone had a more definitive sour ce for mat info. I am printing on Fuji Crystal Archive so I am particularly inte rested in what board to use with that paper.

Old School Wayne

AFAIK, non-buffered board is recommended for all color prints, regardless of process. I've never seen non-buffered mat in anything but 4-ply. In fact, I've never seen it advertised by anyone but Light Impressions. I was told Graphik Dimensions carries it, but its not in their catalog. I would also be interested to know if there are other sources, as I use it with Ilfochromes, LI isnt exactly cheap, and they never seem to have it when I need it.

Old School Wayne

The issue is apparently the buffering agent interacting with the acidic print. Non-buffered board pH is neutralish at manufacture and will drop over time. I dont know the chemistry of it, I just know buffered and color dont mix. If you can prevent the board from touching the emulsion, you might be OK.

What is the issue with using 2 ply museum board if you want to mount color prints on something thinner than 4 ply?

Old School Wayne

Re: my first previous post. University Products (1800-628-1912) carries non-buffered mat board in BOTH 2 and 4 ply! Their prices appear to be slightly less than Light Impressions in 4 ply----but I'm looking at a 3 year old catalog. 2 ply is of course considerably cheaper. They only carry non-buffered in what they call "soft-white" though. I do like the "bright white" that LI has, I dont know about soft white.

I haven't found a more definitive source than the Wilhelm book. According to Henry, for long term storage, you definitely don't want to use buffered board with Crystal Archive. See page 480.