Thread: Learning Camera Movements near SF

Learning Camera Movements near SF

Hi,

I am looking for a class/workshop that will teach me (hands-on) about view camera movements in the San Francisco bay area. It doesn't need to go too deep into the topic, as long as it's hands-on.

I can only attend evening or weekend classes. If anyone has any leads or information, please let me know. Thanks,

Vijay

Re: Learning Camera Movements near SF

I am doing a begining/intermediate view camera workshop Sept 6-8 in Monterey. This is a Friday evening through mid Sunday afternoon workshop.

steve simmons
    view camera magazine

The arts college downtown SF, not the one by Pier 39 teaches large format classes in the evenings. Sorry can't remember the exact name of the school right now. Just remember the location. Also SF state U. has a class, just don't know what time of day it is taught.

Vijay,

I live in PLeasanton and work in North Sunnyvale. I am actually between jobs right now and so have some free time on my hands. I can give you a quick, hands on introduction to the view camera and movements. It would not be as thorough or as indepth as a workshop but it would be enough to get you going. I would still recommend a good workshop like the one mentioned above. A short intro would at least allow you to attend with your eyes open and not as a rank beginner. PM or email me if you're interested.

Brad.

If you want to come up near Yosemite give me a email. I live 20 minutes away and would be more than happy to help. I am free most days as I am either out shooting or creating prints.

PM me if interested.

Thanks,

Kev

Rayko (raykophoto.com) sometimes has LF classes. They're located in SOMA in SF. I took a class there on studio lighting.
    If you get a good book and box of polaroid film, you can learn yourself if that's your style.

Quote Originally Posted by vijaylff View Post
    Hi,

I am looking for a class/workshop that will teach me (hands-on) about view camera movements in the San Francisco bay area. It doesn't need to go too deep into the topic, as long as it's hands-on.

I can only attend evening or weekend classes. If anyone has any leads or information, please let me know.
    City College of San Francisco has a full semester long class on view cameras at the Phelan Campus. There is usually one class offered in the Fall/Spring semesters in the evening. They have monorail cameras to use and check out.

I haven't taken any classes at Rayko but they have a nice facility and friendly people. (oooh, they are doing a wet plate class in July)

-Darren

Thanks everyone for the info, and especially the offers of personal assistance (Brad and Kev)!

Darren - Thanks for reminding me about Rayko. I've rented scanning time from them so I'm familiar with the place but didn't think to check out their classes.

jss - Good thought about the Polaroids. Hadn't thought of that...

-Vijay