Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Oh what an idiot!

Re: Oh what an idiot!

With digital you know before you go home. Ain`t as much fun though.

I got a lot of stares the other morning, 4x5 Zone VI, 300mm, large wood tripod and a new Nikon D200.

One time lady even asked if that thing actually worked!

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Yes, Frank, I've blown off 20 odd sheets that way myself. Ouch.

The best feeling is when you pull the slide and get ready to hit the trigger and then realize that you're staring at a piece of film through the glass instead of the back side of your film holder.

The tripod at home by the door is never a good one either. And the bag with film and meter on the kitchen table takes the cake.

wrong ISO on my meter!
    turned the light on before i closed the box of unexposed film!
    forgot my hex plate!
    shot on empty film holders/double exposed the film cause i thought they were unexposed! (forgoty to turn my darkslides around!).
    read the E on my 135 nikon to be 3. shot 15-20 shots and noticed i still had shot only 3 EEERRR i mean it was empty (E)!
    there are more.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Cool Re: Oh what an idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Forks View Post
    My last outing was a disaster! I shot a lot of film and made several mistakes including:

1) forgetting to pull the slide (caught myself at least once)
    2) Metering errors - wrong ISO on meter
    3) caught and ruined sheet film replacing dark slide
    4) focusing errors

one or two really nice shots keep me coming back for more. I always enjoy the ride, sometimes even more than the destination.
    For #3, have you tried turning the whole camera upwards with the film holder still inside it, thus allowing the film to fall back down and you might be able to salvage the shot? I did this once while photographing a Spider-Man like appendage on a tree halfway up a mountain in Washington state. I got the shots. I'll never allow someone else to load film for me again.

Cool Re: Oh what an idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Forks View Post
    My last outing was a disaster! I shot a lot of film and made several mistakes including:

1) forgetting to pull the slide (caught myself at least once)
    2) Metering errors - wrong ISO on meter
    3) caught and ruined sheet film replacing dark slide
    4) focusing errors

one or two really nice shots keep me coming back for more. I always enjoy the ride, sometimes even more than the destination.
    I did #1 a couple of weeks ago it seems. If I start talking to people, I lose track of what I've done. In this case, it looks like I took the picture without pulling the darkslide.

For #3, have you tried turning the whole camera upwards with the film holder still inside it, thus allowing the film to fall back down and you might be able to salvage the shot? I did this once while photographing a Spider-Man like appendage on a tree halfway up a mountain in Washington state. I got the shots. I'll never allow someone else to load film for me again.

Big Bend

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Maher View Post
    I did #1 a couple of weeks ago it seems. If I start talking to people, I lose track of what I've done. In this case, it looks like I took the picture without pulling the darkslide.

I suspect that the darkslide is warped, just enough to catch the leading edge of the film and push it down creasing and folding the film as it was replaced. I know exactly which holder it is, one of only four 5x7's. That was a new one on me! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by brad martin View Post
    Ever taken some shots with empty filmholders? I have.
    Yep. Went out on a 2-day road trip with 24 empy holders. Didn't say a single bad word when I discovered my error.

Said about a million of 'em.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!