Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I discard color channels?

How do I discard color channels?

Hi, in scanning people have recommended scanning in rgb, then throwing away the red and green channels and then work only on the blue.Exactally how do you discard those channels in CS2?

Thanks!............Chris

Re: How do I discard color channels?

Make a duplicate of the blue channel and then drag the others into the trash icon. But usually the green channel is the best on most of the scanners I have tested.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Chris,

The simplest way would be to add a Channel Mixer adjustment layer, check "Monochrome" and then make Red and Green channels 0% and Blue 100%.

After you're done, you can either flatten the image or, if you want to have a safeguard, create a new composite layer on top of everything. Keyboard shortcut is Shift-Option-Command-n-e on the Mac (Shift-Ctrl-Alt-n-e). It is essentially two shortcuts - one creates new layer without confirmation and the second one stamps all visible elements into the new layer.

On the side note, Blue channel usually contains the most noise - you may want to experiment with various combinations, which is easy enough with the Channel Mixer.

Chris,

There are a lot of ways to do this. I only have CS but I'm sure this will work on CS2 and 3: Under Windows on your Photoshop task bar make sure Channels is selected. In the Channels palette to the right you will see an arrow (>), click on this fly out menu and scroll down and click on Split Channels. This will give you three windows with the three channels in B&W. Then go back to Windows on the task bar and select Arrange then Tile and you can look at all three channels at the same time. Then from Windows again you can select Match Zoom and Location and then you will be able to take a close up look at all three channels at the same location and magnification. Sounds complicated but it's not too bad.

Scott

Got it.Thanks guys!

Chris

Chris, I think you might have heard it backwards. The blue channel on most films is the noisiest and lowest quality, and the worst for making B&W prints. Green is usually best, with red being a close second, and blue a very distant third. The green and red channels each contain different information, too, the way B&W film does if you put on a green or red filter. As Marko says, the best way to mix the channels is using the channel mixer tool; that way you can try different settings-- blue at 0%, Red at 100%, green at 0%, or blue at 0%, red and green both at 50% or whatever. Just remember that the three have to add up to 100%, or the image will look too light or dark. Good luck,

~cj

Chris,

They will only have meaningfully different information if you are starting with a color source. For B&W scans, they won't have substantially different information.

In all my B&W scanning experience, the Green channel has been the best, with blue second, and red generally third. Normally, green is ever so slightly sharper, and blue has more noise, so the green channel works out to be the best.

---Michael

Oh jeez, Chris I was presuming you were shooting color film. If you are shooting B&W film, then scan it in 16-bit grayscale and don't bother with color channels at all; they are superfluous.

Not true Chris in my experience with prosumer flatbeds. You can get a sharper and less noisy scan in the RGB green channel than grayscale.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Well I wanted to try the channel thing after reading the viewcam mag article on scanning pmk negs {which is what I'm scanning}.I guess the slysdexia in me had the blue channel mixed up with green.I spent all day yesterday playing with the different channels, and at the end of the day, at least on this one 8x10 neg, I still get the best results scanning in rgb, then using NIK Color Effects Pro B&W with tonal enhancer filter in CS2.I'm going to play with channels on some other negs this week.I found Scott's method worked well for isolating the channels, and thank you all for the tips!