Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which would you suggest for my needs - 210mm

Which would you suggest for my needs - 210mm

Hi,

I'm looking to build up a LF system. The lenses I want are a 90mm and 210mm. They will be used for photographing alleyway type architecture with low buildings. Now the thing is that the resulting prints will be big, 50" wide at a minimum. I need the maximum amount of resolution so that there will be enough detail for the enlargement to hold up from 4X5. (larger just isn't an option at this stage). I will be shooting in the middle east with bright sun and bright white/cream walls reflecting said sun, that said the shadows will be there from the buildings and given how rubbish I am at focusing anyway, slower than f5.6 isn't an option. It isn't that I'm going to be hiking or anything.

From my research here and using the comparison pages of this site, as well as reading far back into the archives, I've come up with 2 options for the 210mm at the same price (all 2nd hand).

Caltar II N 210mm f5.6
    Nikkor 210mm f5.6

Which of these will give me superior resolution, contrast and flare control or should I spring the extra $200 or so and get the Apo Symmar?

Re: Which would you suggest for my needs - 210mm

Ben, variations of this question come up again and again and the answer is that it really doesn't matter. The differences in performance between lenses of the same design from the "big four" of LF lens manufacturing (Rodenstock/Caltar/Sinar, Schneider, Nikon and Fuji) is so small as to be meaningless for the type of photography you are describing. Thus buy the one that best suits yoru budget, the additional 200 for an Apo Symmar will buy you nothing ... unless youa re talking the current Apo Symmar-L which will buy you a bit more coverage.

Hello! When I moved up from my starter uncoated 210mm Ilex Calumet Caltar lens, I chose a multi-coated 210mm Sironar N and I have been thrilled. The contrast is wonderful, image circle for movements great! I don't know how it compares to the other lens you've listed, but I am very happy with the Sironar N. Best regards.

Mike

The stability of your camera and tripod are going to be a lot more important than any lens differences. Put your extra money there.

If focusing is your problem, it sounds like you may not have a focusing loupe.

If that's the case, then the purchase of an inexpensive 8x loupe may improve image quality more than choice of lens.

I like my 210/5.6 Symmar-S. I have much more expensive lenses in the 200-240 range, but I keep going back to the Symmar-S. It really does not garner much respect and is inexpensive, but I think it is a very fine lens, and it is easily my most used lens on 4x5 and 5x7.

I have a Nikkor W 210mm lens and love it- I think I bought it used for about $350 which is 20% of what some of my more expensive and less used lenses cost- I only hesitate to use this lens when Im facing the sun and flare is a possiblity- I have several enlargements made from this lens that are spectacular.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

The biggest consideration is how much front rise you think you'll need. When I work with subjects that resemble traditional landscapes, I don't need much rise or any other movements; the image circle of the lens is unimportant. In urban areas like what you're describing, I'm often shifting the lens to the edges of the image circle ... so I'm happy to have a modern 210 with lots of coverage and good performance off axis.

Unless you think you're not going to use much shift, I'd narrow the search to multicoated plasmats by Schneider and Rodenstock. The Caltar might actually be one of these. I have no experience with any of the 210 nikkors ... if any has the image circle you need and mulitcoating you'll probably want, then they could be a good bet too.

The Caltar II-N is a Rodenstock Sironar-N. As Ted says, it doesn't much matter unless you need a lens with more coverage, but I have a 180 Caltar II-N and a 135 Caltar II-N, and they are both very sharp lenses with good contrast and smooth out of focus rendition.

Ah.. David. Now that we are talking about bokeh:

Any comments on the bokeh of Sironar versus Heliar ?