Thread: Cleaning Epson 2450 Photo

Cleaning Epson 2450 Photo

Greetings. I have an Epson Perfection 2450 Photo flatbed scanner that I use to scan 4x5 negs. Some dust has accumulated on the glass platen on the inside of the unit. I can't for the life of me figure out how to disassemble this scanner to clean the glass, I cannot find any screws. Does anyone have a solution? Thank you in advance.
    Duane

Re: Cleaning Epson 2450 Photo

Hi here is an idea I had, but haven't tried it yet: melt or drill a hole in the side and then stick one of those speck-grabber things on a stick inside and remove all the dust you see.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I ended up breaking one of the damn plastic tabs that snap all the bits together on the front of the thing when I opened my 2450 for cleaning. No real damage, as the normal fit of the parts holds everything together anyhow. It's been a while since I did that, so I'm fuzzy on the details, sorry. But I feel your pain.....

I --think-- at the back of the scanner near the hinges are two plastic plugs over the screws that hold the main housing together. Take off the lid, pry out the plugs, remove those screws and then the housing pivots forward. Careful with the cables and connectors, front and rear. At least thats how a 4990 comes apart.

Michael E. Gordon

Thanks for the link, MG... the 2450 i'm using has fogginess on the inside of the glass.

FWIW... Several months ago I discovered that my Epson 4870 had developed a film on the inside of the glass. So I searched the web and found the same page Michael linked. I went through the exercise of taking apart the scanner and cleaning the glass. The directions were more than helpful - they were spot on, even though my model is somewhat newer. The whole process took less than an hour.

The results? Clean glass. Are the scans better? Not that I can notice, but I did not perform a rigorous test.

I also had some problem cleaning up my scanner, a friend of mine referred me to a nice tech support site that had free live support. The tech guy help me clean it step by step. I am sure it can help you too.

Here is the page for your scanner Epson 2450 Support

Good luck

Grace

To take the top cover off is easy-peasy! First unplug the top cover connector at the rear, then lift upwards to remove the hinged top cover. The two square holes the top cover pegs came out of have two pozi-drive screws in the bottom. Remove these and the back of the base unit will split. Gently prise up the front to unclip the top half of the base unit. Unplug the small ribbon connector near the front, then the top half can be removed and inverted to allow cleaning of the glass. Reverse the above to reassemble. That's it, folks!