Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tripod head-ache

tripod head-ache

Hi all, after I got my osaka 400/8 (tele) I definitely realised that I need a decent head as my Novoflex Magicabll 50 is not up to task - especialy because it is not equipeed with any type of quick release system so the whole set up is hold ony by once screw which you can not tighten properly. So - I decided to go the 3-way pant-tild head as I find it very uncomfortable to frame the piture properly with the long lens with a ball head.

My current choice is Manfrotto 410 or maybe the Gitzo series 2 low profile head or so. I like the idea of the geared movements with M410, but it is heavier comapred to Gitzo heads (1.2 kg versus 0.75 kg). I expect a SMOOTH operation.

My main point is that I would like to use a quick release system (peferably the syle like arca-swiss, kirk, RRS, acratech or so) so my questions are following:

1) The 410 seems to have some type of quick release or so built in - does one have to unmount it (or to do somethng with it) to attached a quick release?

2) Similar for Gitzo low profile head.

2) I would prefere a long camera quick release plate for the so I can "slide" the camera on the quick release - to place it approximtely in the center of mass with different lenses (especially the long one) - do you do something like this? Is it securable against non intentional sliding?

3) Do you use some type of leveling base with 3-way heads? or you just spet a bit more time setting up your tripod properly?

4) any other ideas - other heads in similar class

5) What about the quick release itself - which one? I prefere secure to fast.

6) Anythigh else ???

Thanks

just a bottom line
    - my tripod is Benro M-227 which I find stable enough and "worth" a better head.
    - I shoot mixture of everything

Re: tripod head-ache

I know others will differ with me - but I GREATLY prefer NOT to use a quick-release. They greatly reduce the stability of your setup - as do leveling bases. Every piece you add between your camera and the ground reduced stability - no matter how well-made it is. It may seem like a bit more work (it's really not - once you get used to it) - but it's worth it to avoid extra problems. What camera are you using? I can recommend a head if I know. Both of the heads you've chosen seem fairly 'light' for large format use (even a wood field camera in my opinion). You really can't go wrong with a Gitzo 5 for ANY camera. I've even used it on 35mm - and the difference in stability is worth it!

Thanks. I am using Tachihara 4x5 - with lenses up to 400mm. Isn't the Gitzo series 5 a bit of overkill? Wouldn't series 2 be enough? And also - I see only one srew on the plate of the head (the Tachihara has two mounting points) - how do I prevent the camera from rotating (my main problem with Magicball) ?

Matus

Well - if you used a 5 - you could use any number of screws you wanted. Really? A tachihara has two mounting points? Are you sure that they're not just alternative sized holes? In my opinion - there's no such thing as overkill. Although I do use a Gitzo 2 for a hasselblad - that's okay. It's actually a pretty solid head - my issue with both of your suggestions are that the mounting plates are TOO small. The surface area contact is quite poor. With something like a 5 - the surface area is great (!) and therefore easily resists rotation (which shouldn't be a problem anyway - if you're not applying force to it...)

I'm not sure about your 'rotation problem'. I've NEVER had that happen to me. Not in 27 years.

Yes - my Tachhara (produced in 2004) has two mounting points with the same thread - some 6 cm from each other - I have used both already.

I was just wondering - the gitzos series 2 are made with different base plate sizes - th G2270M has rather large base - I would guess like 8x6 cm. Of course the base size of the G1570M is probably more like 12 x 8 cm or so.

Well - my "rotation problem" is easy to explain - just have a look on the size of the Novoflex Mgicball "plate" it's like 2 x 5 cm ot ouf wich only half has rubber coating and the head of the crew is nearly round - hard to tighten.

Well - I'd choose something with the following attributes then;

1. a slot at LEAST 6cm long to accomodate both screws
    2. maximum surface area

You can get second-hand Gitzo 5 heads quite cheaply. They're great. A small-surface area head with a rubber pad is anathema to sharpness. You might as well attach the camera to a big spring... bouncy!

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    Hi all, after I got my osaka 400/8 (tele) I definitely realised that I need a decent head as my Novoflex Magicabll 50 is not up to task - especialy because it is not equipeed with any type of quick release system so the whole set up is hold ony by once screw which you can not tighten properly. So - I decided to go the 3-way pant-tild head as I find it very uncomfortable to frame the piture properly with the long lens with a ball head.

My current choice is Manfrotto 410 or maybe the Gitzo series 2 low profile head or so. I like the idea of the geared movements with M410, but it is heavier comapred to Gitzo heads (1.2 kg versus 0.75 kg). I expect a SMOOTH operation.

My main point is that I would like to use a quick release system (peferably the syle like arca-swiss, kirk, RRS, acratech or so) so my questions are following:

1) The 410 seems to have some type of quick release or so built in - does one have to unmount it (or to do somethng with it) to attached a quick release?

2) Similar for Gitzo low profile head.

2) I would prefere a long camera quick release plate for the so I can "slide" the camera on the quick release - to place it approximtely in the center of mass with different lenses (especially the long one) - do you do something like this? Is it securable against non intentional sliding?

3) Do you use some type of leveling base with 3-way heads? or you just spet a bit more time setting up your tripod properly?

4) any other ideas - other heads in similar class

5) What about the quick release itself - which one? I prefere secure to fast.

6) Anythigh else ???

Thanks

just a bottom line
    - my tripod is Benro M-227 which I find stable enough and "worth" a better head.
    - I shoot mixture of everything
    The Magicball 50 accepts several different types of quickreleases. The Novoflex Q=Base is a fully automatic Arca compatible quickrelease that accepts any Arca plate - including Novoflexs's sliding plates. Novoflex also makes the Q=Mount which is a manual QR for this or any head.
    On all Novoflex QR is a small, recessed, set screw that can be tightened with the small allen wrench that is supplied with the QR. This set screw is an anti-twist screw that you can tighten down so the QR system doesn't twist once mounted to your head.

You don't need a new head. You just need a good QR. You might also want to get the MB GRIFF for the MB and the MB 50. This replaces the locking knob with a large, rubber covered knob that looks and feels like a motorcycle handlebar grip. This give the ultimate in support and feel to the MB and MB 50. No it does not fit the MB Mini.

Ball heads and long lenses never work in my experience. Any solid double tilt head will do. Many on the market. Never seen the need to use a quick release plate on LF, but that's my opinion.

The head I use is the Ries. http://www.riestripod.com/head.htm

Worth every penny to support a LF camera in the field, especially with any type of wind.

You need a large, solid foundation under a big house.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

- JW -

you are fully right - that's what my Tachihara with 400/8 tele lesn was doing - it was clearly visible not only during the shooting but also at the results - I too like 5 photos without changing the set-up and in spite of the fact that the whether was nearly windless - not all the photos are sharp.

- Bob -

thanks. I am aware of all the possible Novoflex accesories you've mentioned. But frankly I am still concerned about stability of the quick release on the head as the contact area is rather small and the main screw hard to tighten properly. The antirotation screw build in the quick release would be of course helpfull. Also the price of all the accesories needed sum up to Price of mentioned manfrotto or gitzo head.

- Walter -

Ries is not realy an option for me as I would like to have all 3 axes movable. And the price is getting high too. I just had a look at Berlebach but did not find reasonable solution.

FWIW, I really love the Linhof 3-D head for general use. Compact, robust, and conventional screw mounting. It will handle a 4x5 with a long lens (but maybe not an 8x10 ideally). Sometimes you can get lucky in eBay and find a deal.

After using the Arca QR for years, I always thought it was stable and solid. It is just another expensive item I didn't really need... I don't have a lot of cameras, and I doubt I will wear out the tripod screws (which are replacable if I ever do).