Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: economical 4 x 5 lens

economical 4 x 5 lens

In response to Bill Mitchell : Sorry about letting a bit of my own internal dialogue out in public. By 'Mountain Portraiture' I do indeed mean landscape photography, restricted in my mind to photographs taken in close proximity to the mountains. With the peaks, ridges and flanks as the subjects, I am rarely in a position to take a front on shot, hence the need for, sometimes substantial, rise/fall.

economical 4 x 5 lens

Perhaps this is of little utility and more a self-explantion. I owned a Super Graphic with a 135 Optar and replaced the lens because I ran out of coverage for what I wanted quite routinely. At that time I also owned a 127 Ektar which seemed no better. I used mostly forward front tilt which is quite simple using a Super. However the Speed Graphic, per the Graflex.org site obtains front forward tilt this way: "Front Tilt (Forward)- Drop the bed and correct for the front fall by using front rise. Use front tilt backward to compensate for the maximum tilt obtained by the bed drop." This seems a little complicated to me, but may be quite simple to others.

economical 4 x 5 lens

I picked up Andrea Milano's comments on this thread regarding the Tominon 135mm lens, then tried contacting him at his E-mail address - milandro@multiweb.nl. The E-mail bounced back as a bad address. Can anyone help me with this problem? I just bought one at E-bay for my elderly Graphic View II 4x5 camera. I'm hoping that it will prove to be a good macro. The glass looks like-new. And the shutter is crisp and seems on time. I've seen two problems, however. First, there's no retaining ring. I put a metric dial caliper on the back end of the shutter (a Copal with "Polaroid . . . MP-4" on the front) and got a reading of 39mm. Should I look for a 39mm retaining ring? Second, there's no back group to the lens. That is, there's a lens group screwed into the front of the shutter, but there's no glass at all behind the actual shutter leaves. I've seen an illustration of a Tominon 127mm lens that fits a Copal #1 shutter, and this 127mm has both front and back lens groups. Should there be a back group of glass to this 135mm Polaroid MP-4 lens-shutter combination? Or is it designed to carry only a front glass?

Cheers,

Roy Hayes