Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grafmatik

Grafmatik

Hi guys, I have some possible paying work coming up taking photos at the local strip club for promotional use. The girls have all agreed to a more subtle approach, however I will still need some degree of speed to get shots, normally handheld with available light HP5 pushed.

I'm wondering how good a grafmatik back is, especially for jamming/loading and overall heft.

Also if reviews are good ... anyone in the UK got one going? I have made a big film order and will need to get my hands on the holder next or fidelities.

Steven

Re: Grafmatik

Steven, very interesting idea- but finding a good grafmatic holder might be hard (you're in the UK too, aren't you?). Frank Petronio is into this kind of stuff, and his site has a link to a site about speed graphic shooting. Also, if you'd titled this thread 'strip club project' you'd have caught EVERYBODIES attention . . .

As long as the holder is in good condition, clean, and the septums are flat, I've found Grafmatics to be very reliable, and they're great for portraits. I own 8 of them, and I've never had a jam, though I have read stories of people who have had them or who have had disasters where they've pulled the drawer out too hard, sending film and septums flying.

Kinematic holders hold 10 sheets in about the same space a Grafmatic, but I've found them to be less reliable and more fiddly to operate. On the other hand, it's a very compact way to carry film. I have two of them--one which works pretty well (demonstrating that they can work if they are in excellent condition), and one which is a little more temperamental (where I did pull the drawer out upon first testing it, but fortunately it wasn't loaded with film, and I've managed to prevent that from happening again).

I was slow to figure it out, but a Grafmatic is much more likely to work right when you hold the camera level when you cycle it. If you point the camera down, the chances of a jam go up. I have found them reasonably reliable, but not 100%. Some work better than others and a good one seems to always work.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I have two Grafmatics, and they are really good, and quick to operate once you get the motion down pat. The other alternative is using Polaroid or ReadyLoad/QuickLoad. The Polaroid Type 55 gives a good negative, but you have to watch out during operation to not bend or rip out the film or paper. Grafmatics can stand a certain amount of "excited photographer" syndrome, but not ReadyLoads or Polaroids.

I use Grafmatics and have never had any kind of problem. You just have to take care of them and use them as intended, as with any photo equipment. If you find one you want to buy, check the septums to make sure the haven't been bent or twisted. There is service info, I believe, at this site -
    http://www.southbristolviews.com

Back in the late 1960's I once watched a local photographer shoot an entire Rodeo parade down our main street with a 4x5 Crown Graphic and holders...no Grafmatics. He was pretty fast, but it helps to have an assistant with 4x5, to hand you fresh holders and take your exposed holders.

One thing to consider: If you need more than one full charge out of the Grafmatic, you need to add in time to un-load and re-reload it. I think that by the time you do that, you would be WAY ahead of the game just using ready-loads
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Cool Re: Grafmatik

I use mainly grafmatics. They can be quirky, if you decide, get at least three and get familiar with the operation. If one is a bit loose, it can jam if you are not careful, and the little wheel setting can throw you off if you get in a hurry.

It is generally agreed they hold the film flatter than double darks.

Overall, shooting semi-candids with 4x5 is a difficult task. I am guessing you will be using a "press" type camera? The grafmatics, holding six sheets, will only go so far in speeding up your work. I generally use grafmatics because they allow me to transport more film in less space, rather than using them for "speed" as in reality, with more things to go wrong, they can actually show you down unless you are very very accustomed to using them. The act of pulling the slide can cause the holder to jostle itself against the camera causing a momentary light leak. I like to hold my hand against the camera back, pushing against the gg back and holder sandwich when I advance the sheets or bring a sheet up to shooting position. Sometimes the septums can become loose in their gripping of the film sheets, and if a sheet slides out part-ways from its septum, it can jam the holder. I have taken to using needle-nose pliers and putting a teensy bit more crimp into the edge of the film channels to ensure a better grip on the film sheet.