Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm new to LF - opinions on tripods wanted

Re: I'm new to LF - opinions on tripods wanted

Quote Originally Posted by gaylandd View Post
    Next is a Manfrotto 3021BN w/Manfrotto 3030 head. The Manfrotto is a little shorter than I might like (I'm 6'2") and I am not sure how sturdy it will be for the Linhof (8+ pounds).
    I use the same set and feel them adequate for Tachihara (~4 lb), but I wouldn't use them for a camera twice the weight and longer bellows. If the head has QR, the small plate for 3030 is...quite small.

While I'm quite stingy about weight (and $$$), I also recommend the "max load of twice what's on it" rule. Not enough tripod can be worse than no tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Look on ebay for used TILTALL tripods (get the ones made by Leitz/Leica). Less than $100, weigh only 6# complete with built-in pan/tilt head, built like a Russian tank, will last a lifetime. The head matches perfectly with the base of the 45S Linhof.
    Even my Tiltall with Star-D, not Leitz, label has served me well for about 35 years with up to 5x7 cameras and up to 21" lenses. I've heard the new Tiltall tripods are made overseas. These may have the great Tiltall engineering, if not the traditional American production qualities.

My Tiltall (which is an original Marchoni Bros. 1954 that has been mine since 1958) is a great pod and definitly stronger than the later versions. However, it is not the pod for the OP's camera. I own the pod and owned the camera. The Kardan Color 45S is a medium weight rail camera and whenthe bellows are extended you are pushing the Tiltsll beyond its limits. I know because I used to do it. It was my only 4x5 in the 1970's and when I took it on long trips, like on a plane, it was the Tiltall that went along. I got good images that way but it was always touch and go as far as stability; especially when I was using a long lens and had the bellows cranked out towad their limit.

No question that the Tiltall is a legendary tripod but it won't do everything. BTW anybody want mine?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Look on ebay for used TILTALL tripods (get the ones made by Leitz/Leica). Less than $100, weigh only 6# complete with built-in pan/tilt head, built like a Russian tank, will last a lifetime. The head matches perfectly with the base of the 45S Linhof.
    I wouldn't put a colour kardan on a tiltall...! They're great tripods - but that's a heavy sucker...!

I use a Gitzo 1348 to hold everything heavy from my Canon 500/4 IS down. I don't worry about anything on it. The new gitzo's with the improved locks, composite bushings and anti rotation legs are the way to go. A $700 investment will last a lifetime with their great support and lifetime warrenty.

I can't speak to the other two, but I use a 3021-series legset (3401) with the 3030 head for both my Tachihara and for a Calumet 540 monorail. The monorail weighs about 9 or 10 pounds. I certainly wouldn't want to put much more than that on the tripod, but it's amazingly flexible, works fine in various orientations and, from the results, seems sturdy enough.

Confidently Agnostic!

I use the same set as Alan, though I couldn't remember the head's model number (and anyway the Canadian model numbers are different - my legs for example are the Bogen 3021 legs but they're called Manfrotto 055B Pro up here).

I'm using it with a Shenhao which is a fairly light camera (compared to a monorail) and it's fine. I've even had the camera hanging upside down between the legs (hard to get into position and look at the ground glass in that orientation). It's a very flexible set of legs and column.

I don't see Feisol mentioned much here, but I have been very pleased with one of these.

http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm

I bought both the heavier tripod and ball head and am very impressed with the quality of everything. Even the accessories, the bag and its hardware, tools, etc., are all first class. Dealing with the company (in Taiwan) was easy with no problems of any kind.

I use the tripod for LF and it holds a 17 pound camera with the heaviest long lens I've got using a Manfrotto 400 geared head (weighs 5+lbs on its own) with no problem. I use the ball head for MF and a Canon digital. Its the only ball head I have that will reliably hold a Canon EOS 1Ds using a 100-400 zoom and turned vertical.

I have been using a manfrotto 475 since last November and I absolutely love it. Very Stable and sturdy. Rated for 26.5 lbs.. I am using it with 3057 head, which is just a beast but absolutely an amazing head. I don't even have a LF camera. I bought it after I "won" a 4x5 horsemen on ebay and never received the camera. I kept the tripod and head because they are a rock solid setup for my DSLR....