Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cutting film

Re: cutting film

I'd agree both with the suggestion of the Rotatrim, and that the activity is worthwhile only if the target size is not commonly available. It's very difficult to avoid dust.

Btw - the Rotatrim is not the only possibility. The FrameCo Mat Master with an acrylic cutting base is equally effective.

It's advantage is that it around 1 metre wide and does not require the film roll to be 'slotted' through the holder and cutting edge. I seem to get less abrasion marks on my film using the FrameCo compared to the Rotatrim, however that may be because the Frameco is larger and easier to handle with it's built in clamping edge.

PS - if you're trying this at home, it might be worthwhile thinking about covering the emulsion layer with paper when cutting to reduce the surface scratches/marks.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0

I cut down 9.5" x 125' aerial film to fit 8x10. I use a paper cutter of the type that you find in a paper supplies store - nothing special. I don't have a darkroom, or special fans or filters or night vision gear, just a bathroom that I can make light tight. I set the paper cutter on a sheet of plywood that I have cut to fit over the tub. I wash and dry my hands well so they aren't oily. I do a quick damp mop on the floor and walls to make sure that there's no major dust (we have a dog and a cat). The film cuts just fine as long as you're using a sharp paper cutter (one which hasn't been abused) and I have yet to have any film emulsion damage or fingerprints on the film. Total equipment outlay .... about $50 for the paper cutter (which I also use for paper).

This link is available during the day (eastern Canada) only : http://oldradio.ca:83/Photo/Tech/Fil...ilmCutter.html

cheers

Here's a little piece I wrote about this a couple of years ago over at APUG

Jim, thanks so much for posting the information.

Eric Woodbury

I used to cut 8x10 tech pan film to 5x7. I still have some of it. I borrowed a paper cutter that a photo shop owner in town had. It was a like a normal paper cutter as I recall, but it had a clamp. I'd put 10 or 20 sheets of film on the thing, clamp it down, and cut. The film didn't slip. I don't know who made it or anything else about it, but it can be done.

You might go to a print shop and see what they have. I know the print shop new door here has a big electric paper cutter that could cut film if you could get it in the dark.

I do the same as John above but use lintless gloves to hold the film down. Emulsion up, two cuts and a jig out of mat board. Pretty simple, but I am considering going the Rotatrim route only to get a sharper cutter. You need to hold the film down real good.