Thread: Cheap head?

Cheap head?

No, not Vickie Pollard on the street corner. (ok I guess many non-british members won't get that )

I'm looking to get myself the most inexpensive head for my tripod. I'm having trouble working out Calumet's website, but the tripod I have is a CK6400, and uses the continental sized thread to mount the head. My Calu monorail sits happily as the mount on that can screw in happily. The field camera however has a small tripod mount so I need a head/plate to mount it. My DIY method with the surveyor's tripod is proving unsatisfactory.

I think I saw a few heads s/h for about £50 in a local camera shop but I'm not sure I'm prepared to pay that much unless the price can't be beat, I also can't remember the models so I can't research the max weight they can take.

I'm after something readily available in the UK (ie not trawling the bay for 2 months) that has limited motion (not necessarily after a 3-way), but will support the weight of a heavy 4x5 monorail OR a heavy 4x5 field camera.

Any names/models that may fit my price bracket (cheap) would be great, or else a link to a thread with a low-down on recent models that are out there and available here.

Thanks!

Re: Cheap head?

LOL

There's a cheap-to-weight ratio you need to be cautious of. If you're mounting your shirt pocket digital on a tripod you can get a really cheap head. As weight goes up, so does cost. Never did find a "cheap" head for my Rollei 6008....but it's pretty damned heavy.

--A

my vote would be for a beat up or very used gitzo 2 or 4 series head from ebay. You could probably get it for 10-20 UKP or so.

I have no idea the value of the head I was born with, but it's all I've got.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who can give you cheap head, though. Ha ha ha.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html