Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for David Roberts from Down Under

Looking for David Roberts from Down Under

Almost two years ago I sold a 48" Artar for $700 us to a photographer named David Roberts from Australia. After numerous excuses and promises to pay I have yet to see a dime. Given the fact that this is a pretty tight knit community in LF and ULF even in the more remote places around the globe, I was hoping that someone might know what has happened to David or how I might improve my odds of recovering from being a nice guy.

I guess I learned my lesson and I will never again extend my trust for any reason.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Looking for David Roberts from Down Under

I feel really bad about this - coz guess where I'm from? I buy a lot of stuff from os, and especially the US. Sometimes I really have a tough time convincing (state-side) sellers that it'll be OK. (One of my pet hates is the numerous xbay sellers who will not except os bids - they sure would make more $$ if they did. ) This sort of thing just undermines all such offers and expectations of trustworthiness. I hope this incident does not tar all of us down here with an undeserved negative attitude. For what it's worth i did an .au g**gle search on 'David Roberts' to no avail, but i suspect MK has probably already done this for the same result. I'll keep my ears/eyes open. But it's a big place down here - even for a 48" Artar.
    Michael: Do you have any info re where this character might (even allegedly) reside or any other pertinent details?
    pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Skerys View Post
    Michael: Do you have any info re where this character might (even allegedly) reside or any other pertinent details?
    Yes, surely you shipped the lens somewhere....

I think selling to Aussies is really not a big deal, so long as you have money in hand. If you do, what's the difference? Michael's kindness probably extended further in that the guy probably claimed to be "in a rush" and he obliged. So sorry, Michael...that's really crappy.

--A

It appears that he is still affiliated to the Gold Street Gallery in Melbourne - perhaps one of the locals could pop in and get a contact number for Michael? Or better still arrive at this "workshop" in June: http://www.goldstreetstudios.com.au/The%20Gathering.htm

The ironic thing about this is that David sold me an extension board for a camera prior to this dealing and we had extensive communications prior to him wanting to purchase the lens. Given the fact that he does workshops and exhibits I felt that he would be trustworthy. He told me after he received the lens that he had some financial misfortune but he had some work lined up and payment would be on its way. At the Goldstreet studio I have been in contact with a wonderful female representative who has tried to be helpful but all I have received are disconnected pieces of his exploits such as an assignment or personal trip to Canada about six to eight months ago but nothing about his whereabouts after that.

I guess that the lesson here is to be on guard and if you are selling (or for that matter buying) particularly overseas, just be careful.

Unless he has decided to live in a cave he will pop up his head at some point and when he does I hope to get this unfortunate set of circumstances resolved. Until then life goes on. Thanks guys!

He has a workshop scheduled in June '07.

http://dfb05.tripod.com/07/wshoproberts.html

Thanks Pete. Best news I have had on this situation in some time. If he is doing workshops he must be generating some revenues. I will be contacting them.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Roody View Post
    He has a workshop scheduled in June '07.

http://dfb05.tripod.com/07/wshoproberts.html
    Maybe if he can't afford to pay you the $700 he can send you his 8x20 camera instead....what an ass.

The other thing you can do is have him send the lens to me, and I'll pay you for it.

--A

I emailed him a link to this thread - if this is the guy, maybe he can make good; if it's not, well...

Eric,

That's really inappropriate of you to get involved with debtor. How Michael wants to approach this is his business.