Thread: How does Wista 4x5 Filed Camea fold up?

Amateur et bon vivant

How does Wista 4x5 Filed Camea fold up?

Talk about a novice question! I have just bought a used Wista 4x5 wooden field camera on eBay. It's georgeous. But now that I've opened it up, I cannot for the life of me see how to get it packed back into the suitcase that comprises the back. It came with no user's manual. Can anyone tell me in words what I have to loosen/tighten, push/pull, rotate/hold steady in order to fold it back up? Please don't laugh!

Thanks,
    Unembarrased.

Re: How does Wista 4x5 Filed Camea fold up?

Loosen up all the locks on the front standard. Rack the front standard out a couple of inches. Fold the front standard with the front down. Rack the front back into the camera. Loosen the tilt locks on the back. Fold the back down. Lock the tilt locks on the back.

The slide on the top of the front will also have to be in the down or lock position as if it were holding in a lensboard, the locks for rise/fall on the front should be loose, the front extension will need to be even with the bed along the front. no swing movement on the back or front. You will not be able to fold the camera up with a lens in the lens board.

steve simmons
    www.viewcamera.com

If you are in the mood here is some recommendations for reading

any/all of the articles in the Free Articles section of the View Camera magazine web site

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone
    Using the View Camera that I wrote

try your local library or Amazon.com

I have a Wista DXII, which is the same as yours without the rear shift. Have you figured it out yet? Once you do, practice setting it up and taking it down. Fred Picker used to have students set up and take down their cameras 50 times just to get to know the process so well they could forget about it. Become one with your tools.

The Wista is a great, underrated camera. I've had mine since the mid 80's and have added a graflok back and have a lens extender which can be used on my Technika as well. Jack Dykinga features the camera in his book, "Large Format Nature Photography". He uses it for longer backpacking trips for its' light weight. I have used it for everything from studio commercial work to landscape and portraiture. Take care of it and it will serve you for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary J. McCutcheon View Post
    I've had mine since the mid 80's and have added a graflok back and have a lens extender which can be used on my Technika as well.
    Gary how did you add a graflock back? I love my wista DX but really hate that i can't get roll film backs to it. Did you replace the entire back or somehow fixed a graflock assembly to the existing wista back?

I apolagise for this off topic reply

Dear Stompyg,

I think I bought the graflock back from B&H about 10 years ago. It is made by Wista and I think it may be still available. It is a back that replaces the wooden film holder back that came with the camera. HP marketing imports them and Bob Solomon can tell you where to get one. I believe the DX III comes with the graflok back. The back attaches to the camera body on wood, just like the origional back, but where the film holders go, is all metal, very nice. Check out the HP Marketing site, the Wista site (Japan), and Bromwell Marketing. If the sites don't have info, call the phone numbers and talk with someone. That always works best for me.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
    Gary how did you add a graflock back? I love my wista DX but really hate that i can't get roll film backs to it. Did you replace the entire back or somehow fixed a graflock assembly to the existing wista back?

I apolagise for this off topic reply
    Osaka sliding back from Bromwell Marketing can also be used (at least for 6x9 roll film back).