Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Art/Science Photography

Andy Eads
    Pasco, Washington - the dry side of the state

Re: Art/Science Photography

I used to work for the Pacific NW National Lab as a scientific/industrial photographer. There are about 8 national labs in the country. Back when PPofA had an industrial division, we would compete against each other for bragging rights. Most of their photography is in the public domain and they frequently have relationships with science departments at universities. They are very interested in showing off their work and you may find what you need at very reasonable cost. Contact the PR department at your nearest lab to work out the details. Good hunting.
    Andy

Andy Eads
    Pasco, Washington - the dry side of the state

I forgot to mention that Nikon sponsors a "small world" competition to showcase their microscope line. There are some fabulous photos there with credits. Perhaps the photographers wouldn't mind selling a print or two.
    Andy

I make my living in photometrics. I think a picture of a 55mm shell going at x speed past a slit in a sychro ballistic camera with film going at y speed in the opposite direction painting a perfect picture of the bullet on film would make for some great discussion. Of course you'd have to back track and explain to the little darlings what film is.

Contact our own Arne Croell. His crystallography is exactly what you are looking for.

Everyone seems to be taking this a face value - suggesting 'science photos' to the poor fellow - i.e. the genre which would be used by industry, though - if I'm not mistaken - he's looking more for fine art - using science as a trope (metaphor). I could try to point you more in this direction (i.e. olivia parker, susan derges, others who I can't think of at the moment but soon will, etc..)

Dave, send an e-mail to my friend David Julian and ask for JPEG's of some science-related images (especially the mad-scientist image). You might like his work. His e-mail is art@davidjulian.com.

~cj

You may want to look at work by Hiroshi Sugimotto, particularly his photographs of three dimensional objects constructed to represent mathmatical formulas. A google search will bring many sites that have his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Contact our own Arne Croell. His crystallography is exactly what you are looking for.
    oops, thats me! Well, true I did some photos of my scientific subjects (semiconductor crystals) just for the aesthetics of them, although not on large format, since there is no real advantage on a a microscope ( I actually tried - the microscope, Leica Aristomet, I used then had the possibility for both Polaroid pack film including type 665, and 35mm. When I compared prints of the same subject, the 35mm APX 25 pictures were better). Unfortunately, APX 25 is gone now and the newer microscope we use (Zeiss Axio Imager) is even better optically, but all the imaging is digital. Has advantages for workflow, but the field of view for an individual image is much smaller.
    Anyway, some of the APX 25 micrographs can be seen here:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=258895

Arne

Jeepers! What a terrific response to a great idea.

Dave Karp

Hi all,

Thanks very much. I only had time to jump on and see if anything else came up. I have to run but will get back on tomorrow and look into your suggestions. Keep them coming. Thanks so much.