Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LF or MF?

Re: LF or MF?

Nothing really new to add to the discussion except what I did when in that position myself... I kept the 4x5 and first sold my 645 MF system, then shortly thereafter sold the Mamiya 7. My reasons were pretty simple: The Mamiya had no movements, and I could get equivalent image quality in a 12 MP DSLR with a per-shot cost that was significantly less AND a system that was even easier to travel with.

But I did love using the Mamiya... Instead, I now have an extra 4x5 that is a lot of fun to use, so don't really feel I lost anything from the Mamiya sale. Worked for me, but respect YMMV...

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Hello Jack,

Was it this type of comparison that made you get rid of your Mamiya 7:

http://www.diax.nl/pages/start_mamiya_nikon_uk.html

Of course an ICG drum scanner costs way more than a D2X, so no savings there.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    Hello Jack,

Was it this type of comparison that made you get rid of your Mamiya 7:

http://www.diax.nl/pages/start_mamiya_nikon_uk.html
    A G Studio

Hi Gordon:

No, it was actually my own testing that led me to that conclusion. As for cost comparisons, I only compared film and processing costs of 120 rollfilm from my local lab, and it was not very many rolls before a Canon 5D body could be bought and paid for in full... Factoring in a drum scan every so often would only add to the DSLR advantage, and factoring in the used values of the M7 and lenses more than covered the cost of a prime set of Canon glass.

As for raw image quality, I would agree with the author's assesment in the above article; that for up to 16x24 or so, the 12MP DSLR has the edge, and after that the 6x7 film will have a slight edge on detail, though the digital file remains better on noise (grain). HOWEVER, at those print sizes, 4x5 will be vastly superior to either, and in my case the option I would prefer to be using for such large prints anyway.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Maine, but have lived and photographed extensively in Malaysia and France as well as New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by DannL View Post
    What apocalyptic climate? I just recently (a year) started in LF and now MF. I've had no trouble whatsoever finding film/papers/chemicals or camera and darkroom equipment for either format. Are we living on the same planet? Seriously. Actually my demands on the system are quite meager, as compared to some folks.
    If you're just starting out in MF and LF, then I can understand why you don't yet glimpse the apocalypse. But I've been at this for nearly forty years, and I've seen my favorite papers disappear one by one. Not film--that's still available. I've always been an FP4+ and HP5+ fan until the Deltas came out, and now I use Delta 400 and Fuji ACROS quite happily. But the papers! First, there was the old Oriental Seagull (the new one is nothing at all like it), then Agfa's Portriga Rapid, then Kodak G, then---well, I guess the latest blow was the most hurtful--the loss of Agfa MCC Classic. Best paper I ever used, and I've tried most of 'em. Now even Forte is gone, and that was a close second to the Agfa in my repertoire.

I have no doubt that in the not-too-distant future, my wet darkroom will go the way of all flesh, and I'll start scanning my negs and using an Epson 3800 or some such to make gorgeous prints. That's OK, I guess. Time and technology do roll on. But I will stick to film rather than starting with a digital image just because the technology is rolling on so fast there's no guarantee that even ten years from now I'll be able to access any digitalized image I have now.

I think I may hold both MF and LF for awhile before making a decision. I like the suggestion about selling my wife's jewelry, since I bought most of it anyway. She'll never miss it. . . right?

Larry

Confidently Agnostic!

There are lots of people in my immediate circle who've started shooting MF as an extension of the photography they learned mainly through digital. Obviously Holga users, but also Bronica, Mamiya, TLRs, etc. Hell, I've got 3 medium format cameras now (2x TLR and 1 645 rangefinder) and I only got seriously interested in photography about three years ago.

At my local store there's still tons of film available. I don't think it's going to disappear anytime too soon.

alec said all.
    Both (roll and sheet film) will last for a time greater than our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kalajainen View Post
    ...does anyone have a crystal ball with which to predict which of my equipment (Rollei SL66 or Wista SW outfits) is most likely to remain useful the longest? Which will bite the dust first--roll film or sheet film?
    An interesting, and valid, question. I'll approach the problem from a slightly different perspective than most:

At the present time, digital cameras (as least those most of us can afford) have not yet eclipsed either medium or large format film, therefore both of your film outfits are still a good bet. However, it seems reasonable to conclude that affordable digital cameras will exceed the performance of medium format film, before they beat large format.

Therefore, assuming the continued availability of film, your LF gear will outlive the MF stuff in terms of having something to offer, which you can't get elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kalajainen View Post
    I have recently acquired a Mamiya 7 with a couple of lenses. Been wanting one for a long time to be my travel outfit.

However, given the cost, I have to sell some existing equipment. I'm both a MF and an LF (4X5) user and enjoy both.

Given the present apocalyptic climate with regard to film and silver-based photography, does anyone have a crystal ball with which to predict which of my equipment (Rollei SL66 or Wista SW outfits) is most likely to remain useful the longest? Which will bite the dust first--roll film or sheet film? I love them all, but something has to go.

Larry
    As you have written the post, you have already made you choice in the very recent moment when you acquired you MF outfit - "However, given the cost, I have to sell some existing equipment".
    Also, why do you ask the others to know, "which of your equipment is most likely to remain useful the longest"? Most useful to whom? To the humanity? To the manufacturing industry? To your fellow photographers? To me? Or - heavens forbid, to yourself? How does that usefulness depend on the others? It depends on your type of photography, your personal needs and your taste, not on a crystal ball!
    If someone tells you - the MF is not as useful to you as the LF - you will just hurry and sell the outfit you just recently bought? Your local photo dealer must be pleased with you... If someone tells you that the MF will be obsolete first just look at the most newly produced film cameras - the are just the MF...

Film will never go, so don't worry. there will always be somebody producing it if there is demand..

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    Most of the new film cameras are MF cameras! What is more, RF backs are used in many of the new film LF cameras too...
    Agreed. Also, around the world, most serious amateurs can't afford serious digital equipment and are sticking with film -- particularly medium format. I doubt either format is going away anytime soon.

However, this weekend I went to place an order for Kodak Portra 400NC 220 and found that it was hideously more expensive than just a few months ago. So I'm switching to Fuji 400h -- just bought 20 rolls from Adorama. Bad for Kodak, but I have to vote with my wallet.

I expect film costs will continue to rise from now until eternity. Just means we will have to take fewer but better photographs!