Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 150 SSXL for 4x5?

Re: 150 SSXL for 4x5?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    am reluctant to part with this lens because I like it a lot, so I'm looking for some rational justifications to keep it...
    The fact that you like the lens should be justification enough.

You are really asking if there is a use for small sections of the widest extremes of the image circle.

I like a head-on look, and often get it with longer lenses. But that doesn't work when looking at the ground close to me or directly under my feet. In that case it can be useful to have lots of shift capability to frame the shot.

I also sometimes tilt the back forwards to reduce the 3D look of photographs of the ground some few meters in front of the camera. With enough image circle you can get your focus back with even more forward front tilt.

A more common anti-version of this is using a lot of backwards back tilt to make a view from a normal lens look like a wide angle. You can also play games with perception by photographing building facades at oblique angles: movements make the dimensions of, say, the windows correct, but you see the window frames from one side only.

If you play these tricks often enough, it's worth carrying the lens from a utilitarian standpoint. If you don't, you will be forced to appeal to love. It's your back.

Incidentally, some earlier monorails had the abilty to add extenders to the standard uprights so that you could apply enormous direct rise. I have some red bars for my Norma that will let me get a total of 15" or so with the rail level.

I have never used them. :-)

Question Re: 150 SSXL for 4x5?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    I'd love to have one for 4x5. Primarily due to the big image circle that would let me do (back) shift stitching easily.
    What is back shift stitching?

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Maher View Post
    What is back shift stitching?
    Taking multiple images on film or digital, shifting the back between exposures, then stitching the images on a computer to form a single larger image.

Good one Ralph!

So do you know of ANY 4x5 camera that will accomodate the full IC of the 150 SSXL with DIRECT movements? I suspect I'd need one that allowed about 140mm of total rise...
    I got a Sinar F1 and recently upgraded to the 150 SSXL (from a 150 Symmar-S MC). Although there's not a significant difference in sharpness that I could easily recognize, there is a huge difference in coverage that lead me to go for the SSXL when I got some transparencies back from the lab on which I clearly trespassed the image circle (I was using DIRECT movements). For me it's not so relevant to use the full image circle of the SSXL, but to have enough coverage not to trespass it. I also use a 5x7 back from time to time, so the additional coverage is very useful for me. Other than that, the lens is just a high quality artefact, which in itself would be a reason to keep it. If I want to travel light, I can still take the Symmar-S with me.

Good one Ralph!

So do you know of ANY 4x5 camera that will accomodate the full IC of the 150 SSXL with DIRECT movements? I suspect I'd need one that allowed about 140mm of total rise...
    I use it on my 4x5 Arca 141 and cannot exceed the coverage of the lens. My 150mm Sironar S vignettes on me and I can't see it in the ground glass but is really sharp. I just hate the bulk of the SS...EC

Quote Originally Posted by Remigius View Post
    For me it's not so relevant to use the full image circle of the SSXL, but to have enough coverage not to trespass it.
    Excellent point, thanks. I don't recall ever actually trespassing my 150 APO's IC though, which is probably a good indication I don't really need to keep the SSXL...

Jack
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

....or a 5x7...????
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Hey - cool. Keep in on a 4x5 - you can do 'shift diptychs'...! It would make a cool contact print! Kind of like 'analog stitching'...!

Jack there are many more reasons to keep it!
    First it is sexy!
    2. If you need a weapon you just have one at hand!
    3.You never have to look if the corners are getting dark!
    4.In windy condition its a stabilyzer on the camera!
    5. You never have to much glass!
    6. You always need a spare!

Hope its enough, Armin Seeholzer