Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: no images????

Re: no images????

Take-up spool goes on the winder, yes.
    The film will lay over the film plane with the paper facing the back of the film holder. Film surface should be facing the dark slide when put together.

i opend the back and looked at how i had loaded it, and there would have been no way the film could have gotten exposure. i thought there was only one way to load it,

If you're not for 100% sure, load it up, slide the dark slide out and look to make sure the film is lookin at you. If you see paper, it is backwards. So you lost two shots. Better than a whole roll, yes?

Like I stated earlier:
    Been there.
    Done that.
    More than once.
    Mr Smart-A** here took his MF to photojournalism class one day to "show off".
    Guess what I did? Got a real neat roll of 220 blanks!

ok, so if you have the loader in your lap, you put the film on the left side and do you take the film around the back, then to the winder?

With the loader in your lap, looking at the side where the dark slide goes. Take-up spool to your right. Film on left side. Turn film so that as you pull it across the film plane, the paper will be away from you, and the film will be facing up. Hook it onto take-up spool, and advance it a couple turns to make sure it has caught. Then when you remove the dark slide, you should see film.

ok i loaded it, and i removed the darkslide and there was the film, i really appreciate the help, what i did, when i loaded it the first time, i just went from the film spool to the take up spool, so the film wasnt even going through the film plane lol, i wasnt even thinking. thanks again so much. i dont know what i would do if i didnt have this forum. best regards

I assume you didn't have the lens open for each shot when the back was on and the darkslide pulled out....?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

no, actually i did that when i shot my first 4x5, lol, i was so excited that i forgot to close the lens before i pulled the slide out.

"Black film = no exposure.
    Clear film = overexposed"

Assuming we're talking about black and white negative film, I believe this is backwards. If the film has been grossly overexposed or was subject to a major light leak it will be black. If it wasn't exposed at all it will be clear (except for chemical fog). It's clear because the silver halides were never exposed to light, which means they were never reduced to metallic silver during development. It's the metallic silver crystals that form the latent image so the absence of any image indicates that the conversion of silver halides to matallic silver never took place, i.e. no light struck the film. So all he's seeing is chemical fog from the development process.

There could be a lot of reasons why the film is clear. As others have said, since you can see the film identifying information your problem most likely isn't in the development, it's in the exposure. Possible reasons in addition to the one already mentioned (paper side being on the wrong side) include failure to pull the dark slide, film not advancing (are you sure it was on the take-up reel?), shutter not cocked or otherwise not opening as it should, lens cap on the lens, and probably four or five others that don't come to mind. If the problem was loading the paper side the wrong way I would have expected to see a very faint image in at least a few places on the film but perhaps not, especially if the film was also underexposed or you were photographing in very dim light.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.