Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF Black and White process in the UK.

LF Black and White process in the UK.

Hi Folks

Can any British members suggest a lab for b&w process in the UK? I live in Glasgow and can only get E6 and C41 5x4 sheets processed locally. Not entirely happy with the idea of posting my film but i guess i don't have a choice. Don't have room for deep tanks in the house. Any suggestions gratefully received thanks.
    Iain

Re: LF Black and White process in the UK.

Hi Iain,

I have used Peak Imaging http://www.peak-imaging.com/ for various processing, including some Fuji Acros 5x4 (before I got a combiplan tank to do it myself), and was pleased with the results...

Good luck,

James

I'd recommend processing yourself.

I develop 35mm, 120, and 4x5 myself. It's highly cost-effective and I don't need to worry about someone else handling my negs.

I posted a thread a while back about 4x5 processing options (process drums, paterson orbitals, yankee developing tanks etc).

All my kit could be stacked in a sink. Nothing huge, nothing major. Everything is compact and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I'd recommend processing yourself.

I develop 35mm, 120, and 4x5 myself. It's highly cost-effective and I don't need to worry about someone else handling my negs.

I posted a thread a while back about 4x5 processing options (process drums, paterson orbitals, yankee developing tanks etc).

All my kit could be stacked in a sink. Nothing huge, nothing major. Everything is compact and easy.
    I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the whimsical Patterson Orbital after reading Roger Hick's review in Shutterbug many years ago. I've never seen one so maybe they just didn't market them in my locale. I do very nicely with a Unicolor processor---see Greywolf Phillips' article on the Large Format Homepage. Either of these two gizmos should work well for home processing, aren't costly on the used market, take up very liltle room and use a miserly amount of chemicals. You can even load them in a changing bag if you can't make a room dark enough.

Good luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Can't find that threat Ash, though please feel free to comment on my thread asking about that sort of thing:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...896#post226896

Iain, Loxley Colour Labs advertise that they do B+W processing (despite the name). Have you checked with them? They're just north of the M8 in Port Dundas.

Otherwise, I send my film to Peak Imaging too. Clean, efficient and relatively cheap compared to 'pro' labs. Much cheaper to do it yourself, but then you have to do it yourself.

I second the suggestion re Peak Imaging. Reasonably priced, high quality, and their turn-round time is pretty quick.

I also agree that if possible, doing your own B+W developing is worthwhile. I bought a Jobo 2336 film processing drum on eBay last year, which allows me to process up to 12 5x4 sheets at a time. That, plus a dark bag and some chemicals, are all you need. There are other tanks out there, as well, and all will do a good job.

Advantages of doing your own B+W:
    a) cost (approx 25p per sheet, or less)
    b) control (N-1, N, N+1, etc) (I admit, I don't bother, since I use a developer which compensates to some extent)
    c) speed (I can develop images taken the same day, and have then scanned the following morning)

Disadvantages:
    a) Acquiring the tank, etc (not available new anymore, I believe)
    b) Preparing / storing chemicals
    c) Developing a repeatable process to ensure consistant results.

I like doing my own B+W, but if time did not permit, I'd happily use Peak Imaging.

Good luck, and let us know how it all works out!

David.

Thanks for your suggestions. Peak Imaging seems to get the thumbs up. I have processed my own sheets in the past albeit in a professional studio darkroom. My main concern in doing the job myself is keeping the damn stuff clean, dustfree and scratch free. I remember this being a constant struggle even with small formats. I have no time in my life for spotting negs or prints. That said i would plan to only have them dev'd and contacted by a lab. I have found a guy in Glasgow with a drum scanner and would get outputs done from a digital file. Concerning Loxley Colour Labs where did you see them advertising B&W Struan? Familiar with the lab from years gone by when they were in Glasgow city centre, they processed thousands of my work films before the dig monster arrived. Don't remember them doing B&W even then. Mind you the price list on their website is dated 2005, might be a new service. I use B&S Graphics in Helen Street, Govan for E6 mainly because it's easier to get too. Thanks again guys, Iain.

Iain, I confess I just took the 'Black and White Processing' part of their website on trust. I couldn't be bothered to give them my full details just to see the price list. They have always been recommended to me as *the* lab in Scotland, by people I trust to know what they're talking about, but if you've used them in the past you'll know better than I do if they are worth contacting.

One thing with Peak: they don't have a 4x5 process and print service that matches their deal on 120 or 35 mm film. You have to get a 10x12 proof, or order a reprint. If paper proofs are important to you the Peak price advantage may disappear. I am happy to do a cheap-n-nasty scan on my flatbed, but I have very low volumes.

For fast, cheap and crummy proofs/contacts of any film, I photograph the neg on the light table with the DSLR and "invert" it + levels in PS.

Otherwise, I use Peak for 4x5 E6, dlab7 for 135+120, and I do B&W at home . I use a Paterson Orbital for 4x5 and 8x10 and I'm delighted with the results.

I /might/ give the tray processing a try just to be able to process more film in less time; if you shoot a lot, deving 4 negs per batch can take a huge amount of time. On the other hand it's /really/ cheap on chemicals. I can process 4*4x5 in just 150mm of DDX solution (at 1+9 too!) with perfect, even develoment.