Thread: Cabela's Deluxe Gear Bag

Dave Karp

Cabela's Deluxe Gear Bag

Hi all,

The Cabela's Deluxe Gear Bag that Ted Harris reviewed in the July/August 2006 View Camera is on sale for $24.99. This is even less than the sale price mentioned in the article. This bag did not get the highest recommendation of all the bags reviewed, but it is about one third of the price of the next less expensive bag discussed in the article. Since I am on a budget and need a bag to store and carry my Titan and other gear when it is not in my backpack, I just ordered one.

Here is a link to the Cabela's page if you are interested: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...+bag&noImage=0

Re: Cabela's Deluxe Gear Bag

Go for it .... there is not a single thing wrong with the bag. Just that stacked up against the others tested it just didn't do as well. It has little or no padding and the zippers aren't as smooth as one would like. Will it hold your gear, absolutely. It's a bargain at the original price and a steal at 25 bucks. Just don't expect it to take too many shocks.

I just received that same bag the other day. Ted is right, it may not be the most padded bag around and the zippers are not the smoothest, but for 25 bucks, it is a deal hard to beat.

And it is spacious enough to hold my Shen and two lenses (all wrapped in Domke wraps), a light meter, two sets of Cokin filters plus a set of Cokin stackable hoods, eight film holders, a black cloth, and a bunch of small items such as a loupe, glasses, flashlight, notepad, etc.

Even if I decide I need a better main gear bag down the road, it will always find a purpose.

My 4x5 Toko has been packed around everywhere imaginable for 12-15 years in a good day pack with no padding and no damage. It also carries 6 lenses, 6 holders, 2 meters and other essentials such as filters, loupe, etc.
    It makes no sense to me to pay three times as much for a pack in order to add the extra weight of heavy padding. One should not depend on padding to protect equipment. Depend instead on care in packing the car or wherever the case will be.
    I think I will spring for the Cabela and ease the old day pack out of service.