Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soft-proofing problem -- Out of gamut?

Re: Soft-proofing problem -- Out of gamut?

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/...&mode=show&st=

A users poll from Luminous Landscape on the Canon. Despite all the negative press on forums, actual users seem pretty pleased.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I have a bunch of samples from the new Canon line too (including ipf5000). Unfortunately there was some missing data and information with the brochures. The Canon reps were nice enough to e-mail some additional information, and send more technical data that I needed. While they did answer my questions for my specific needs, I discovered that an ipf5000 would not be a good choice for me. If you are only producing prints for framing and sale, it might be a good choice.

I also have some information on the newest HP lines, and the larger Canon line of printers. It should be somewhat obvious that more inks can cost you more per print, though balance that against the results you want to achieve. Going by information supplied from two printing places, running a Canon is slightly higher than running a large HP, though somewhat less expensive than running a large Epson. I encourage anyone wanting one of the larger printers to contact a shop running one, and find out issues about running cost, maintenance, and service issues. Printers should be compared on operating costs as much as on initial purchase price.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

If you look closely at the negative press on forums about the Canon printers it appears taht most of it comes from a small handful of users.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    I discovered that an ipf5000 would not be a good choice for me. If you are only producing prints for framing and sale, it might be a good choice.A G Studio

Gordon, why not a good choice for you?

BTW, I agree that the HP Z3100 series deserve a very serious look; especially if you want something in that size and are starting out and do not now own any paper profiling hardware.

Hello Ted,

I have more of a need for proofing for offset. Unfortunately Canon do not seem interested in establishing a SWOP certification for the ipf5000. This is what I mean by narrow needs, and I don't think it would be an issue for those wanting to output prints for framing and direct sales.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Gordon, understood. While I have no particular insight into Canon corporate decisions my best guess is that, since they are firmly targeting the 5000/8000/9000 at photographic markets, they see no reason for SWOP certification for these machines. I assume they have SWOP certification for their larger machines. If memory serves, they do have SWOP certification for the ipf500. Also, as a point of interest, what has HP done re SWOP certification for the Z series printers?

Regarding SWOP certification, I think only one Canon printer has that, and that certification might be expiring soon. Judging by the answers from Canon, I don't get the feeling they are interested in that market segment. With HP many of their DesignJet printers go through SWOP certification. I do know that the current Z line is also going through this testing, and the Z2100 is already certified..

Once testing is done, SWOP will list a criteria of which paper combination used on which printer meets SWOP proofing standards. This is a big deal in proofing, pre-press, and printing industry. The certification of a particular inkset, paper, and printer (often combined with a specific RIP) lasts a few years, unless a company wants to re-certify.

Some of the companies making RIPs also submit printers for testing. This is why a few Epson and HP printers have SWOP certification, because EFI or ColorBurst applied for certification of a specific combination of inkset, paper, and printer. It might be in the future that a RIP company gets certification for one of the Canon printers.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio