I don't see how a scanning test would be useful with only one film being tested. Unless the readers only use one particular film, the results would be quite narrow in scope. It would seem that a range of films would provide a better comparison, especially considering the diverse nature of current films.

If you are testing resolution, it seem to me that using a few B/W films would be much better. You could include a comparison of the resolution tests done by C. Perez and others.

Kodak E100VS has a different colour palette than Fuji Velvia. If you are testing colour response, then it might be more useful to test both films. Fuji Astia 100F is very low grain, though perhaps testing a grainier film would also tell quite a bit; the chance of grain affecting noise would be one aspect.

In a work environment, the end printed medium is always a consideration. Depending upon printing requirements, a given scanner might be beyond the capability of a chosen printing method. One thing I have noticed with some consistency is that colour can be more judgemental than sharpness or resolution for many clients; a slightly soft image would not be as problematic as one in which the colours were off or one that was too dark in shadow areas.

The first thing I evaluate in scanning systems is the Dmax. Unfortunately in consumer level scanners the numbers are often way off reality. After checking Dmax, then I look to see if enough true (not interpolated) resolution capability is present.

Another factor is the camera and lens. There will be variation amongst lenses, and some medium format lenses providing greater resolution capability than some large format lenses. You might consider using a Mamiya 7 and one of their well regarded lenses. Another possibility is an optical test using B/W film in each system, then seeing how close each scanner comes to matching the film results. If you want to avoid using cameras, then Kodak (Q-60) and Fuji have targets you can use for scanner testing.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio