Thread: Quaility of scanned instant vs neg/pos images

Quaility of scanned instant vs neg/pos images

I have an eversmart pro II scanner that can scan up to 3200 dpi. My printer however cant print such large images and I'm only able to view large scans on the screen which obviously look far different than an actual print.

My question is how do large scans of 4x5 instant (fuji fp-100c45 mostly) compare in quality to astia or provia at any given size above 11x17?

I have to shoot a number of portraits in April and would prefer to use instant and scan rather than scan film if possible. I have to travel out of state and would prefer not to keep exposed film sitting around until I return to PHX. I'm sure there are some good labs in Columbus OH so if need be I could process there.

Anyhow, direct observations of larger portraits and the figure prints from instant vs reversal would be most appreciated.

Thanks

George

Re: Quaility of scanned instant vs neg/pos images

An instant print is not an original. It is a print from film right? Instant film color prints have a completely different look than any transparency film. Scanning a small 4x5 print and blowing it up will be inferior to scanning the 4x5 film because in essence the resulting print will be a fourth generation reproduction vs. third from film.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Thanks Kirk

I should have mentioned I want the instant film "look" but didnt know if they can hold up to a 4x + enlargement.

I've tried the exact same thing. The prints are not as sharp as they appear. Once you start enlarging them, even 2x or 3x, they get fuzzy in my experience.

W.

The positive/negative Polaroid film can stand up to about 8x enlargement from the negative, and probably reasonably from a good scan too. With the colour print instant films, I would hesitate to go beyond 4x enlargement, with maybe 3x being more practical from 4x5 Polaroid.

The biggest issues will be colour and a softness to edges in the instant film. This might look okay for portraits, and barely get to 11" by 17", though it would not compare well to film. Either Astia 100F or Provia 100F would be a different colour palette and sharpness level than FP100C. The Fuji Instant I have used seems to have a slight red bias, maybe not very flattering on some skintones.

I would be tempted to shoot both Astia 100F and some FP100C. Cover your session by giving yourself either choice later.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Thanks all
    Ill shoot both.
    Excellent advice as usual.

George