Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how to approach stangers for portraits

Re: how to approach stangers for portraits

Another thing is to simply practice being a friendly person even when you aren't out stalking new subjects. Chat with the check-out clerks, people in elevators, when you go for a walk. Compliment someone in a coffee shop. Be short, sweet, and light. Make someone feel good about themselves without overdoing it.
    This is excellent advise and something I started doing as a matter of habit quite a while ago after watching two other eloquent people I know. They don't just talk to good-looking people, they talk to everyone, all the time.

Look at the cashier's name tag and address him or her by name. If you go to a particular place frequently, remember the name--if you use it one day when she's not wearing the tag, notice the expression on her face.

Sure, talk about the weather. Everyone has to go through the same weather, so it's something you always have in common with everyone else.

When your practice it all the time, it starts to become part of your natural personality, thus it isn't something you have to "turn on" just when you want to get something from someone.

If it's possible, try to visit the same places frequently. You may see interesting people also visiting the same places frequently, and if they see you sometimes taking pictures, you're no longer a stranger, but "the guy with the camera."

Then you never have to ask strangers for a picture--you learn how to make them instant acquaintences. "John, you look very interesting. Mind if I take your picture?"

multiplex

hi los

i am usually on auto pilot when i talk to strangers ..
    i have been doing it since i was a kid selling xmas wreaths door to door,
    paper route thing, oral histories, working as a coffee schlep ....

just be nice and polite and up front with who you are and what you want to do.
    don't be too pushy, or over the top. just strike up a conversation, if s/he seems
    friendly ... you are all set ...

good luck!
    john

I just got back from 3 months of doing portraits in rural, Southern Mexico, and had this (paraphrased) quote from Graciela Iturbide ringing in my head the whole time:

"When I first went into indigenous communities, I felt that I was being intrusive, but then I realized that I should not be ashamed of being a photographer, that it was fine for me to be there."

I think it starts with faith in yourself. When someone stares at you, afraid that you are going to take something from them, your ability to project that that is not the case goes a long way to helping that person dispel their anxieties. It is very important not to absorb their fear, and feel bad that you are imposing on them. You can instead inspire them with the spontaneity of the situation. As intimidating as it can be to approach people for me, I love the process, and if I project that, people tend to respond positively.

In indigenous communities I got a lot of no's, but a lot more yes's than I would have expected. It was almost impossible to predict who would agree and who wouldn't, so I never found a formula for predicting anything, which in the end was better, as it kept me guessing. I did find that it was better to work in very mellow settings (agricultural villages of 2,000 or less) where people were very approachable; it seemed that they made the decision on an individual basis, not so much out of a kind of peer pressure. In larger environments people were harder to approach, and almost seemed beholden to some abstract sense of a group which judged them.

I explained myself amply. I had to explain that I wouldn't charge them, and that I am sending them a copy of a print this summer (doubled the Technika portraits with 35 digital; people liked looking at the screen), that I am trying to write a book about rural Mexico, that I would not sell their picture in other media without their consent (any eventual magazine articles will mean I will have to scramble with some phone calls).

Some trusted me, some didn't. All I could do was be friendly and relaxed. I wasn't pushy, and made it clear that I was fine with them saying no; however, in certain situations, I could be gently insistent. When they would teeter towards a no, I might say, "As you are, where you are" and maybe even start positioning the tripod. My theory is that almost everyone likes to be photographed, but not everyone feels comfortable about the process, especially in the hands of a stranger, and many are afraid of being taken advantage of in some way or another; so, it's important to create that comfort for them. As Ringo once sang, "Act naturally!" If you show the best of yourself, people will respond. It takes some nerve, and every day I feel I start from zero, as if I have never done it before, but once I push myself, I lose my two left feet, and find my way.

I find that long explanations of what the photo will be used for etc. only gives them a chance to say no or ruins the situation and makes them tense etc. so instead I find it useful to ask to take a photo of something they're holding or wearing or doing rather than a photo of them personally. It seems less threatening I guess. "Can a take a photo of your moustache or your hat or bike" etc (or "can I take a photo of your dog on your lap, in your arms, standing next to you," etc.) rather than "Can I take a photo of you"

Strangely enough, they then strike a pose as if they expect to be photographed in full - which indicates that they wanted to be photographed all along but just needed a way to justify it to themselves.

In foreign lands, I just hold up my camera in their general direction and make an exaggerated "pressing the release button" gesture while smiling - most get the hint and are happy give in, others get shy and laugh in which case I follow up with a pleading gesture which elicts more giggles that make the photo only better, but only a few reject outright.

If you've coming to a community such as a village, just hang out for a bit before you start taking photos. Let the locals size you up first. Make idle chatter, drop hints and before you know it they'll be coming to you.

I find the important thing is the disengagement rather than the engagement - I can't just take a photo and turn my back and walk away (seems rude) so I make a little bow or thank you gesture with a smile. If I can, I give them a copy - in some countries, people can't really afford to have a photo of themselves taken so it makes them very happy.

I've never had a problem just going up to people. I tell them what I'm after and why I'm asking them. They either say yes or no. No big deal and I don't take a no personally.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

I think the thing to be gathered from everyone's experiences here is just to go for it. There really is no set of rules to follow (although common sense, decency and courtesy go a long way!), and the more you invent as you go along, the more luck you will have, and the more you will enjoy it. If instead you try to follow a certain protocol, you may not be responsive enough to what endlessly diverse reality is offering you. Pascal once wrote that nothing is so different as one human being from one moment to the next. Every situation is different, and you will be as different within it as the people you are photographing. Each one brings its own measure of challenges, nuances, hits and misses. What works once doesn't work the second time, perhaps works the third. This is ultimately a good thing, as, if approaching and photographing people were always predictable, you would run the risk of taking the same picture over and over again. Try to connect to the person in whatever way seems appropriate to you and the situation. Challenge yourself, and enjoy the process of what you come up with.

I once told a waitress I wanted to "shoot her". She said "what did I do?"

I learned that my partner, a woman, does a much better job of communicating with women. No surprise there. I did work with the girl a few times after that first encounter, including figure work, so I agree with the aforementioned practice of just asking, state your intentions, and walk away if the answer is no.

I've found that people secretly enjoy being photographed sometimes. They just need someone to ask them. The others (the ones that say no) probably never will.

I once got an email response from a guy about this very question. He carried a small portfolio with him constantly. That way, if you're talking to someone who is photographically interesting to you, you can SHOW them what you're up to.
    Makes sense to me.

I found that in places that smoke a lot as in Indonesia I carried in my bag a packet of the local cigarets. Approaching some one or even a group with a greeting and a how do you do, offer the cigarets as I ask to take their picture. Even the non smokers were happy to oblige. This excersise often led to on going conversations.

"Pardon me, Miss. Does this rag smell like chloroform?"

I usually let them come to me. I will set my camera up and then sit down next to it. People walk right up and ask what am I photographing and I say "you!". It breaks the ice and usually ends up with a photo being done.