Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Imagon again

Re: Imagon again

help m,e out i can't seem to upload an image thanks lee

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Try the icon (4th from right) that has the label "insert Image" when your pointer hovers over it.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Regarding whether to focus with the little holes open or closed, think of it this way: the large central hole is a small aperture, which gives a sharper image on a soft lens. The little holes let a little softness back in to compliment that sharp dominant image. It's easier to get the correct focus without that softness overlaying the image, especially since that "softness" is actually other sharp versions of the same image focused on slightly different focal planes due to spherical aberration.

That's the theory. In practice, it doesn't really matter due to the Yogi Berra principle.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

A 5 year Old thread. Wild seeing ted's post. Really snapped me back.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Yep, focus with the holes closed then open them up for desired softness after focus has been achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by David Brunell View Post
    Yep, focus with the holes closed then open them up for desired softness after focus has been achieved.
    And that will create a focus shift. Always focus an Imagon under the same condition it will be used at. Easiest way to focus while learning the lens is to hold a high output halogen or LED flashlight at the base of the nose and focus on the lamp till you see a cross. When the cross appears you are in focus. Remove the light and study how the imah=ge is recorded to learn what an Imagon soft focus image looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    And that will create a focus shift. Always focus an Imagon under the same condition it will be used at. Easiest way to focus while learning the lens is to hold a high output halogen or LED flashlight at the base of the nose and focus on the lamp till you see a cross. When the cross appears you are in focus. Remove the light and study how the imah=ge is recorded to learn what an Imagon soft focus image looks like.
    Thanks Bob, I must have mis-read the information or it was false. Anyway, I have just started to use the 250 and I am glad you pointed that out, it will save me some wasted film!

"Easiest way to focus while learning the lens is to hold a high output halogen or LED flashlight at the base of the nose and focus on the lamp till you see a cross. When the cross appears you are in focus."

By the way, thank you for that tutorial tip on how to focus; It will be used extensively this weekend.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with Bob here. You have focused the main sharp image under the same condition it will be used at with the holes closed. Adding focus shift afterwards from the little holes being opened is what you want, because they're supposed to be focused off the sharp focal plane due to spherical aberration. That's what makes a soft focus lens work.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Has anyone used an Imagon with just a shutter iris control for aperture? What type of soft focus lens is it compared to the Imagon using the discs. Eg H5.8 compared to f5.8 . Would the Imagon behave something like a Portland or the Kodak portrait lens that has the iris in front of the lens? I understand it was designed for the use with a disc in place ---- but??