Thread: Weston and old Luna Pro

Weston and old Luna Pro

Hello All,
    I have often wondered: is the old Gossen Luna-Pro calibrated to a different reflectance than the Weston v (actually, a Weston Euro-Master)? It seems to me I remember them reading one stop difference in standard reflected mode.

Re: Weston and old Luna Pro

I thought reflective meters were calibrated to read the world as 18% gray? Why would the Weston be different?
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Some meters, like an old Minolta (or maybe that was a Miranda meter???) meter I once had, are calibrated to read 36% reflectance...one stop off of the 18% that the Weston reads. Its east to alow for. I've never used a Luna-Pro, so I have no info on what it reads.

blanco_y_negro

It gives you standard results; and it's a good meter.

Most of the Luna Pros were made for a battery voltage that is not generally available unless you go with a Wein cell or one of the expensive converters that use the higher voltage batteries currently available and knock the voltage down. So that could be part of the problem. Unless the Luna Pro has the right batteries and both meters have been calibrated by somebody who knows what they are doing (Quality Light Metric, for example, they're great with the Westons) I wouldn't draw conclusions from your obeservation. If they are individually consistent, that is what matters. The setting is just a number if you do testing. I had a Weston V re-celled and calibrated by QLM and it has been accurate and reliable going on 5 years now. It won't read moonlight like my Luna Pro, but for most things it is quite satisfactory. It doesn't agree with my Pentax Digital Spot, it doesn't agree with several other meters I have.

[Some meters, like an old Minolta (or maybe that was a Miranda meter???) meter I once had, are calibrated to read 36% reflectance...one stop off of the 18% that the Weston reads. Its east to alow for. I've never used a Luna-Pro, so I have no info on what it reads.
    I was wondering if my old Luna Pro is also calibrated to 36 %. The meter I used most, over the years, believe it or not, is a Lenningrad 4, purchased in Czechoslovakia, in the middle 1970s. It has seems to be dead on; and it and the Weston agree. When I used the Lunie, I just compensated, as has been suggested. I am just wondering if it was that particular meter, or all Luna Pros from that era? It was the Gossen Luna Six in Europe at the time. Anyone know if they were calibrated differently to restate my question?
    I am glad to read that some meters were/are calibrated to something other than 18%. I am just wondering if that meter was of such a type.