Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Nearly hit by bottle while shooting...!?!

Re: Nearly hit by bottle while shooting...!?!

Wow, this thread was dug out of the bottom of the bin.
    -Chris

Les

Chris, this sort of bunch exist all over US, I mean given the right conditions and these morm...urr, morons will surface even here in Seattle, which has the reputation (at least trumpeted this way) for being an educated town.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Never had it happen while photographing but I've had it happen bicycling. One guy threw a beer - not an empty beer container, but a beer. He leaned out the passenger side of an approaching Jeep and lobbed it over the vehicle to my side of the road. It cam flying through the air trailing foam and completely missed. I always thought it would have been hilarious if I'd manage to grab it and yell "thanks!"
    I was bicycle touring with my 4x5 in New Zealand (1986). Heading up a long hill out of Auckland a white Toyota van slowed down and matched speed with me. The side door slide opened to revel three Maoris and a keg of beer. They proceed to hand me cups of beer as I slowly made my way to the top of the hill. Nice folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I was bicycle touring with my 4x5 in New Zealand (1986). Heading up a long hill out of Auckland a white Toyota van slowed down and matched speed with me. The side door slide opened to revel three Maoris and a keg of beer. They proceed to hand me cups of beer as I slowly made my way to the top of the hill. Nice folks!
    I ran into some of that type too.

A friend was a cyclist AND a local police officer. Someone beaned him with a glass Gatorade bottle (remember those?) once, hit right on the stem of his Kestrel. He did get the plate, and they were quite surprised when a cop car pulled up in their driveway to discuss the incident. I think he declined to charge them criminally if they agreed to pay for the wheel he destroyed when he ran off the road due to the incident. They decided that was the better approach, even though they were shocked a wheel could cost more than they thought a bike could.

Welcome to the planet of the apes.

When I lived in Denton, TX, I was once riding along minding my business when I heard someone yell something that I won't repeat here, and immediately thereafter an empty 40oz bottle smashed on the street right in front of me. I actually chased them, but it was open road so alas, no chance of actually catching them.

There sure are a lot of scum bags out there. I once had a used condom thrown out a car window at me and some friends.

In nearly four decades of running and cycling on the roads of South Carolina I have had a bunch of things thrown at me. And a few times I was run off the road . Where I live the "scum bag" are always juvenile white males. I refer to them as the "red neck" scum bags.

For the record, I am southern born and raised, and have lived most of my life in the south, so don't assume regional prejudice. Sum bags are scum bags, wherever you live, and unfortunately there seem to be a lot of them everywhere.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Just goes to show that there are red-necks, hillbillies, and bubbas all over, even in Canada (ssshhh... that secret's not out yet). They have different names all over, but they are usually the same ill-educated poor folks everywhere. Despite popular opinion and hollywood stereotype, they aren't all living in the the SE of the US.

My personal favs are the Italians that tried to steal out of my friend's backpack -- just reach a hand in and take whatever they grasp. Apparently, just to do it. The moral of the story is, never photograph alone. Always have someone around to watch your back.
    Rednecks? Bubbas? Good grief.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

They're also not all uneducated and poor, nor are the uneducated and poor lacking in people of kindness and hospitality by any means. I've had things thrown at me out of very expensive cars, and I've had people in very shabby cars stop to offer help when they thought (generally incorrectly, but they were being nice) that I needed it.