Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole Plate Film Holders... Hand Count

Dave Karp

Re: Whole Plate Film Holders... Hand Count

John Z,

Full plate is 6.5" x 8.5." It refers to the size of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by John Z. View Post
    ...can you explain exactly what the term 'full plate' film holders means?...
    Full plate or whole plate refers to 6.5x8.5-inch film. Actual size of the film is slightly smaller. The format originated with glass plates; adapters were later made for those plate holders so sheets of film could be used in them, thus reducing length and width of the film slightly from the "named" size. A similar situation exists with 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10, where actual film dimensions are smaller too.

What Paul is describing in this thread will be holders designed to accept "6.5x8.5" sheet film of the actual dimensions that Ilford and Kodak provide. They will be usable in a variety of vintage and modern whole plate cameras. He states the Fotoman holders will be of Toyo quality. I'm looking forward to their availability!

Terence

I'd be interested in 5 or 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    At the low end, yours would be exactly one seventh the price of Lotus holders, and that's compared to the volume discount for a dozen of their wooden version. Even at or slightly above your high estimate, the differential is still staggering. I wish you much success with this and hope it inspires others to move into the format.
    Damned... I didn't know we left THAT much on the table! Like many of the products Fotoman makes... we don't expect to get rich from this. Frankly, it is my previous business endeavours that pay my way today. Fotoman is as much a personal joy as a money making venture, though habit and common sense demand our activities not lose money. At the 65-70 dollar price, after we produce enough to get our tooling back (under 200 units), we'll actually make some money.

WP Film Holder: 65-70 dollars...
    Satisfaction derived from Building and Supplying them: Priceless

WP Film Holder: 65-70 dollars...
    Satisfaction derived from Building and Supplying them: Priceless
    Thanks Paul - that's the way I feel about working with whole plates

I think someone mentioned in this thread about whether a whole-plate back modification service could be offered to adjust plate cameras to mate with these new
    DDS holders. I think this sounds really attractive (although I'll keep a vintage camera to use bookform plate holders still). Would Fotoman have the tooling facilities to measure and tailor-adjust older plate backs to a spring-back type DDS holder back?

Just a thought (or am I pushing my luck).

Happy Easter.

Regards,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_5419 View Post
    Thanks Paul - that's the way I feel about working with whole plates

I think someone mentioned in this thread about whether a whole-plate back modification service could be offered to adjust plate cameras to mate with these new
    DDS holders. I think this sounds really attractive (although I'll keep a vintage camera to use bookform plate holders still). Would Fotoman have the tooling facilities to measure and tailor-adjust older plate backs to a spring-back type DDS holder back?

Rob
    It does sound like an interesting idea, but I'm afraid the answer has to be no. To be honest, I have already committed Fotoman to more projects than I should have. As I write this we have 8 major announced projects in the works, and one "secret" project. As a result, we are behind schedule on most of them. I need to stop saying yes for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_5419 View Post
    Would Fotoman have the tooling facilities to measure and tailor-adjust older plate backs to a spring-back type DDS holder back?
    Rob,

This sounds like the sort of customization that Richard Ritter or Alan Brubaker would be able to perform. Since there are so many different old full plate camera models floating around, and there were no standards when they were originally made, every conversion is likely to be unique.

Kerry

Clay

Richard Ritter did exactly this job for me. He made an excellent whole plate conversion back for my 8x10 Phillips Compact II. Got me hooked on the format. Now I have a real whole plate camera too!

Thanks Paul - it sounds like Fotoman are very busy! That's good news too. I'm still saving up for a whole-plate Ebony camera in any case....

Secret project?

Thanks for the pointer Kerry. I live in England and have never heard of these guys.

Realistically, I'll keep my cheap (flimsy) vintage wholeplate camera and try and save up for an Ebony which will mean I won't need to go this route. I do like the idea of adding a back for the vintage wholeplate camera to use the new Fotoman DDS's.

Clay - is it okay if I ask you for details of your mod (including cost?). If it's suitable for forum viewing rules that is. Would it mean I'd have to send a back to him and get one mocked up in size....?

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Droluk View Post
    To be honest, I have already committed Fotoman to more projects than I should have. As I write this we have 8 major announced projects in the works, and one "secret" project. As a result, we are behind schedule on most of them. I need to stop saying yes for a while.
    Paul,

I understand that completely. I used to work for a company that sold custom made-to-order products for select customers. Eventually, all of the custom products cut into our new product development time, and almost choked it off. It was awfully hard to say no. Actually, in some ways the company was probably similar to yours. Most of the products were made of 6061 T6 aluminum alloy, produced on CNC lathes and mills. Lots of interesting stuff and fun.

Nine projects at once are a tall order for a small company. At least some of them are related (film holders for example). Best of luck!

Love the "secret" project. Can't wait to hear what it is.