Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of fool would buy a half-plate camera?

What kind of fool would buy a half-plate camera?

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. This just arrived yesterday and I have some questions for anyone familiar with half-plate and/or British view cameras. Does anyone recognize the maker? The only labeling is on the lens, a Lancaster and Sons Anastigmat Rectigraph. At the excellent Wood and Brass web site, I confirmed that the camera looks nothing like any of the cameras built by Lancaster and Sons, and I can't find its match on that site. At one time the camera had a 3/4" disc inset in the back that must have had the maker's name--alas it's gone. The camera is a beautifully made triple extension camera, so I can't believe there would be no record of the maker. It also has a very unique front standard construction that allows rise, fall, and shift of the lensboard independent of the front standard movement.

It came with two bookform plate holders--one in iffy condition, so I'd love to find a few more holders--plate or film. Are there any 5x7 holders that would fit this camera? The back accepts the flanged bookform holders, but the groundglass size is about 5x7. If anyone has some spare holders that might fit, please let me know!

I also need to figure out a way to mount a standard tripod or find some legs that will work with the round cut out bottom design. The design is genius for making the camera lightweight and letting it fold with the lens, but if the original legs are lost, it makes things a little more complicated.

My original intention was to use this as a wet plate camera, but I'm not sure I want to be dripping silver nitrate on this guy. Maybe it would be easier to just find and adapt a straight 5x7 back.

Re: What kind of fool would buy a half-plate camera?

"At the excellent Wood and Brass web site..."

What is this?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    "At the excellent Wood and Brass web site..."

What is this?
    Hey, you're supposed to be helping *me* out.

http://www.woodandbrass.co.uk/

The fittings look vaguely familiar, and they make me think it's possibly made in India.

Looks very nice, your right to good to spoil. Great camera.

Ian

wfwhitaker

Half a fool. That's why I stick to whole plate.

That's a beautiful camera, whatever it is.

I have some good 1/2-plate holders with cutfilm adapters. I'll send you a sample to try if you email me your mailing address. These were never standardized, but sometimes can be made to work without too much trouble.

The quality of manufacture and the appearance of lightness would possibly suggest Thornton Pickard or Houghton, both of whom used circular ivory nameplates. However, the design and finish of the metalwork and overall condition would point to a more recent date of manufacture. Ian has suggested India where a lot of "English Style" large format cameras were made. Either that or a beautiful restoration and upgrade.

Whoever built it one cannot deny it is a beautiful camera. Good luck with the legs.

Martin

The reason I suggested possibly India is two cameras I was watching on Ebay about 2 moths ago. They were Indian built wide format cameras, rather odd formats but the hardware was quite similar and not like I've seen on a UK made camera.

Ian

India? Interesting, I never would have thought that because I'm only familiar with some fairly crude copies and the construction and finish on this is very fine--better than my Deardorff in fact. Can you point me to any photos of finely-crafted Indian cameras from that era?

Ernest--Thanks, I'll email you.

Another view--

A very smart fool would. HA!

A beauty.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html