Thread: 17 inch and 19 3/4 inch KODAK EKTANON

17 inch and 19 3/4 inch KODAK EKTANON

I have a 17 inch and a 19 3/4 inch Kodak Ektanon lens in very good condition each with a flange. I bought them a long time ago and have never used them. Both lenses are coated with the Kodak Lumenized L logo. Are they worth using, are they sharp at infinity and will they cover 8X10? Is there any market for these type of lenses? I currently use a 12 inch and 14 inch Kodak Ektar in Ilex shutters on my 8X10 and they perform very well. Will the Ektanons compare?

Re: 17 inch and 19 3/4 inch KODAK EKTANON

Simon,

Can your front standard handle the wieght? I had a 19-3/4" and it was wonderfully sharp but big and heavy.
    Good luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John

I have a Kodak 2D 8X10 and it can handle the 14 inch Ektar in a shutter so I think it will support the weight of the 19 3/4 Ektanon. I will compare the weights.

Simon, I love my 14" Commercial Ektar, but IIRC the 19-2/3" Ektanon is a different animal, perhaps a dialyte?

Now that you've got me thinking, maybe mine was a 21"---all I remember was that it was one big heavy lens---it made a 24" Artar look like a Cheetah girl!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The Ektanons seem to have been made in a number of different focal lengths- I've never heard of a 17". Unlike other Kodak lenses, information about them seems hard to come by. The few I've seen have all been in barrel, except a 21" that had been re-mounted into an Ilex shutter. They all seem to be 4-element Artar or dialyte-type lenses, meant for process cameras or perhaps enlargers. They do carry the EK date code in the serial#, so it's easy to determine their ages.

I have one of the f10 17" copying ektanons and it is sharp, contrasty enough for the alt process printing I do, and easily covers 11x14 with room to move. I love mine and it was cheap to boot.

Simon,
    I have and use a 21-1/4 inch Ektanon. I have it mounted for my 8x10. I used it recently in Death Valley and am extremely pleased with the results.
    Give them a try.
    Craig