Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Light weight field camera

Re: Light weight field camera

Thanks everyone for the comments. I need to think about it. If I am going to get one, I will post the picture as soon as I get it.
    I think the best suggestion on the forum for a beginner is to buy a used camera, play with it, after a while you will know what do you want. I had my first camera Kwok camera, I enjoy it a lot. As said, no camera is perfect, you just find the best fit. I have a discovery now, which is the kind of camera that can do everything. I will shoot with it within 1/2 mile from my car. If more than 1/2 mile, I would perfer a light weight camera with 2 compact lens at most. I am planing a trip to Grand Caynon, I was thinking about not having my LF gear down to the bottom of the caynon. But now I might have a chance here.

Hi Songyun,

In regards to the camera suggestions, I'd like to cast another vote for the Nagaoka/Anba/Ikeda line. For the past 15 years I've used a Nagaoka as my primary camera for use in the field. I carry the 4X5 into the backcountry often, many times for a week at a time, so having a light weight camera (and lens system) is critical to me. As much as lighter weight is a virtue, its compact size and extremely quick setup time are equally beneficial. The Nagaoka's narrow collapsed size allows me to pack along 5 lenses, a spot meter, filter pack, and loupe into a Lowe camera bag that's about the same size as a six-pack of beer (the short neck variety). Once the tripod is set up, I can snap in the camera (with the help of quick release system), erect the standards and have a lens in place ready for viewing in a matter of 15 seconds. All of which is helpful when your racing to catch critical light on a fleeting landscape.

For comparison, I also own a lightweight Wista (the model without rear shift movements). It's a lovely camera to use. Similar in design to the Tachihara, the front and rear swing movements are quick and fluid. But in the field, the majority of the time a simple application of tilt is all that I require. The Nagaoka will easily handle a 65 mm up to a 300 mm which is perfect for my use.

As to the question of stability, the Nagaoka's front and rear standards are as rigid as those on my Wista. I tweaked the mechanics slightly but the overall camera design is solid. I use a lightweight 300 mm Apo Ronar so when the front standard is racked out all of the way, there isn't any play. Now agreed, it might be a different story if you were attaching a 300 mm Apo Symmar or Sironar.

The Toho and heavier wooden fields will feature easier to use swing or shift movements and with some, a longer bellows draw. But staying within the limitations of your longest (normal) lens being a 300 mm, the compact and quick to set up Nagaoka is hard to beat. I've taken it into the Grand Canyon and countless mountain ranges where ounces and cubic inches add up in a hurry when you're carrying them for days on end.

These cameras aren't difficult to find on the used market, however I'd look for a clean sample. When I purchased mine, I completely disassembled it only because I wanted to refinish the wood. They are a simple design and easy to work on. I hope this has been helpful.

Good luck with your selection.

Mark

My lightweight kit, in addition to the front moves Gowland, is a 90mm Angulon, 135mm Sironar-N, a tiny Linhof Report tripod with a small Linhof ballhead (this is the one that folds flat with the three tubes all in the same plane from the 1950s), Toyo Loupe, Gossen Digisix meter, a couple of Grafmatic or Kinematic holders, and a set of Linhof 42mm drop-in filters with shade.

Other lenses that use 40.5mm screw in filters or the Linhof 42mm filters that fit a holder that clamps on the outside of the lens are the 135mm Symmar and 150mm Xenar.

On the particular trip I'm taking this week, I'm also bringing my Busch Vademecum set, which doesn't take standard filters, so I'm leaving the Linhof filter set at home and bringing a stack of gelatin filters and a clamp-on gel holder made by Voss, which is even more compact than the Linhof filter set. Moleskine makes a little book with folders that is perfect for 3x3" gels.

I agree with Mark. I've used a Nagaoka for backpacking and it did everything that I needed in a very light package.

There's always the new Wanderlust 4x5 if you want ultimate lightness! Limited movements but it'll be light and rigid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    What is the lightest field camera 4X5 (yet very rigid) that you have used?
    Is a 3 lbs camera a good candidate?

I would think that the lightest weight 4x5 camera would be the Wanderlust/Travelwide when it comes out at the end of this year. It ought to be as rigid as an aerial camera.

My light weight kit is based on a Zone-VI( the model made by Wista and badged for Zone-VI)
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!