Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Slavich Paper Anyone?

Re: Slavich Paper Anyone?

Rejuvenating this thread. I just got a trial (25 Sheets) in 11x14 Grade 3 Single Weight. It was on my list after getting an AZO print in the last exchange. Really excited. Couple questions:

--I use a rental lab with whatever chemicals they supply for dev, stop, and fix. Do bromide papers require anything special?

--FS and packaging says red light safelight only...has anyone ever tested this? The rental darkroom has an orange safelight. I figure I can give it a try, or if need be, work in complete darkness.

I have a separate PMK question which I'll post in a different thread.

Cheers!
    --A

Bromide papers can develop well in all photo paper developers.

Quote Originally Posted by alec4444 View Post
    --I use a rental lab with whatever chemicals they supply for dev, stop, and fix. Do bromide papers require anything special?
    Reiterating what Gene said, nothing special in developers is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by alec4444 View Post
    --FS and packaging says red light safelight only...has anyone ever tested this? The rental darkroom has an orange safelight. I figure I can give it a try, or if need be, work in complete darkness.
    I don't know, I've always used a red safelight, but there's a discussion going on APUG on this same question.

Alec, please update us with your results.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Alex I'm printing some of my 4x5 negs from a recent trip to the Eastern Sierra. I'm using Ansco 130 1:1 for my Efke 100 negs. I toned in KRST 1:20 for 3 minutes and it seemed to loose some of the warmth. I'm thinking of cutting down on the toning time to maintain the warmth. I'm going back and forth between the Slavich and the Emaks. The Emaks is warmer overall and does not come in single weight. Also, has anyone noticed that the SW and the DW Slavich tone differently. I'm attaching an image of Lundy Lake on the Slavich DW grade-3 developed and toned as above. When this was dry I was so impressed that I went to Freestyle today and bought some of each size. I need to see this image at 16x20. The print really "glows". The monitor does not do it justice. Thanks.

Jim

Jim, that's a wonderful-looking print. Would like to see the real thing!

I've used very little of Slavich DW so haven't had the chance to assess if it tones differently. I'll keep my eye on it in the next few months.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Alex, thanks I think this paper is a sleeper. eventually I'm going to try some in Amidol. Can't wait to do the 16x20. Here is another one I'm going to go big on. Same p[aper and tech info as on the first post. I had this shot with the 8x20 and when I developed the neg's I discovered that the holder I used was just a bit smaller than my others and got a light leak across the entire neg. Man was I pissed off!
    Jim

I had a similar experience with this one. Shot it on the 7x17 with a 270mm Dagor 3 which didn't get full coverage. There's 3 windows on this wall but the outer two were vignetted so I got a nice 7x10. At first, I printed this on Kentona, then went to Slavich G3 which rocked! (PF130, 1:2)

If anyone is interested I wrote an article about this paper. You can read here on our blog;

http://silvervista.blogspot.com/2007...hic-paper.html

Thanks,

Kev

Good article Kev. Thanks for posting the link.

Thanks Alex. By the way, I really like the photograph above. I bet it is just beautiful in person. Thanks for sharing it!

Kevin