Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arca Swiss F-Line 8x10 reducer board -- Anyone using one? Experiences?

Ever learning, ever growing. Mark Carstens's Avatar

Re: Arca Swiss F-Line 8x10 reducer board -- Anyone using one? Experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Roody View Post
    As of about a month ago, Precision Camera Works had used 171 front format frames (both f-classic and f-metric).
    Thanks, Pete. I'll shoot them an email. The frames are not on their downloadable "For Sale" list, so I'm not optimistic, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Good point, the new synthetic bellows are great. FTR, on the new F-line 141 x 141, you can use a 47 through 450 on flat boards and maintain infinity focus. However, the bellows is fully compressed and you have zero movements at the 47 end
    Wish I had the $$$ to make that happen, but that dog don't hunt.

If I were to buy a complete 4x5 camera, it would be a used F-Line 171x171 with orbix and shoot for under $2K, the LF gods willing. I've got a synthetic bag and the long bellows already, so I've got a fairly broad bellows range covered.

~Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carstens View Post
    If I were to buy a complete 4x5 camera, it would be a used F-Line 171x171 with orbix and shoot for under $2K, the LF gods willing.
    Wise choice Mark! (But under $2K might be difficult.)

Here is an image to whet your appetite... Wanting the smaller 141 camera and micro-metric (geared) Orbix, I finally broke down and ordered one. Previously, I owned a 171x171 F-Metric with dynamic (friction) Orbix and newer style synthetic bellows, but figured the geared Orbix would be more convenient to adjust and the 30mm lost off width and height would be a non-trivial gain. Then the 141x141 arrived... Look at the pair of them side-by-side:

As you can see, the size gain was in the end, trivial. The synthetic bellows of the 141 sits outside the 141 frame to essentially the same dimensions of the 171 camera -- slightly smaller, but certainly not any significant gain. Moreover, the 171 frames offer protection to their collapsed bellows while the 141's do not so I have to pack it more carefully to prevent rub holes. Nowhere is this mentioned in the Arca literature, nor is it obvious from any of the current marketing materials. Though it is supposedly a half-pound lighter in weight. Whoopee.

For sure, the geared Orbix is preferable in use to the friction: it was really tough to make a small, sub-one-degree adjustment with the friction Orbix, but very easy with the geared. I tired at the time, but could get no commitment on how much or if my friction Orbix could be upgraded to Geared. I understand it is now readily available for $695 and they'll loan you a classic frame while performing the upgrade. (It figures...)

FWIW, as for the geared adjustments of the Metric over the classic, I like them. No need to lock any shift or rise adjustment, just dial it in and shoot. Probably not a big deal in reality, but it is easy and fast and does remain rigid for those curious...

Oh yeah, one other thing. I mount all my lenses in Tech boards and have a few in #3 shutters, so of course I have Arca 171>Tech and 141>Tech adapter boards. But the 141 board is small and the way the 141 release button is configured is really stupid; it points down at the lens. The gap between the button and the rim of the #3 is so narrow (a few mm) there is no way to get a finger between them to press the button and actually release the board -- so I have to carry a Popsicle stick in my bag to fit the gap to release a #3 lens! By contrast, there is no issue in this regard using the 171>tech adapter. Stupid, stupid design.

At the end of the day, I had paid close to $4400 for my new 141 and another $350 for the idiotic 141>Tech Adapter. I sold my used 171 for $2900. So it cost me $1500 to "upgrade" plus the adapter. I think I would have rather paid the $700 to convert my old camera to geared Orbix and spent the $$$ saved on a lens or two.

FWIW only,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carstens View Post
    Thanks, Pete. I'll shoot them an email. The frames are not on their downloadable "For Sale" list, so I'm not optimistic, but we'll see.

~Mark
    Mark,

Bob doesn't list this stuff on the website. You have to call or email him. I just checked and he emailed me in late December. I don't know for sure if they were front or rear carriers but he said they were near mint.

Pete

Ever learning, ever growing. Mark Carstens's Avatar

Wise choice Mark! (But under $2K might be difficult.)
    Yeah, it's probably just wishful thinking.

...the 171 frames offer protection to their collapsed bellows while the 141's do not so I have to pack it more carefully to prevent rub holes. Nowhere is this mentioned in the Arca literature, nor is it obvious from any of the current marketing materials.

For sure, the geared Orbix is preferable in use to the friction: it was really tough to make a small, sub-one-degree adjustment with the friction Orbix, but very easy with the geared...now readily available for $695 and they'll loan you a classic frame while performing the upgrade. (It figures...)

FWIW, as for the geared adjustments of the Metric over the classic, I like them. No need to lock any shift or rise adjustment, just dial it in and shoot. Probably not a big deal in reality, but it is easy and fast and does remain rigid for those curious...

Oh yeah, one other thing. I mount all my lenses in Tech boards and have a few in #3 shutters, so of course I have Arca 171>Tech and 141>Tech adapter boards. But the 141 board is small and the way the 141 release button is configured is really stupid; it points down at the lens. The gap between the button and the rim of the #3 is so narrow (a few mm) there is no way to get a finger between them to press the button and actually release the board -- so I have to carry a Popsicle stick in my bag to fit the gap to release a #3 lens! By contrast, there is no issue in this regard using the 171>tech adapter. Stupid, stupid design.

At the end of the day, I had paid close to $4400 for my new 141 and another $350 for the idiotic 141>Tech Adapter. I sold my used 171 for $2900. So it cost me $1500 to "upgrade" plus the adapter. I think I would have rather paid the $700 to convert my old camera to geared Orbix and spent the $$$ saved on a lens or two.

FWIW only,
    Wow! You're a wealth of information, Jack. This is ALL really helpful. I trimmed some of your reply, but all the info I've quoted is great user data.

Based on what I'm reading, the conversion of my Discovery to geared Orbix (assuming that's possible) would be a logical first step. Then, if I can secure a used front frame (just for convenience sake), I'm golden. I'll have to rethink how I pack the two camera bodies so that switching out in the truck isn't such a hassle, but that's a minor obstacle. I think the greater obstacle is learning to discern between the true 8x10 shots and the ones that the 4x5 captures more effectively. Carrying one system into the field at a time will no doubt encourage me toward that end .

Thanks again, Jack!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Roody View Post
    Bob doesn't list this stuff on the website. You have to call or email him. I just checked and he emailed me in late December. I don't know for sure if they were front or rear carriers but he said they were near mint.
    Thanks, Pete. I just emailed Bob.

~Mark