Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Markins Q3 Emille Ball Head

Markins Q3 Emille Ball Head

If anyone is considering a lightweight Ball Head with an Arca Type QR for travel, hiking, and backpacking, you may wish to consider the Markins Q3 Emille. My head arrived a couple of days ago and it is diminutive certainly compared to my Markins M20 which is small compared to an Arca Swiss B1. The Q3 head is an L (left handed version) like my selected M20 but it only weighs about 13.4 oz while my M20 set-up weighs 20.4 oz. The Arca Swiss B1 is a R (right or regular version for operation) and is considerably heavier than the M20.

I have mounted the Q3 head on my Gitzo 1257LVL Carbon Fiber (but on occassion may switch with my M20). The M20 will replace my Arca Swiss B1 Ball on my Gitzo 13XX Carbon Fiber series tripod.

I purchased the Markins Q3 for usage for long hikes, travel, and backpacking as mentioned above and to be used particularly with my Toho Shimo FC-45X and my Mamiya 7II cameras. The Q3 head is certainly not inexpensive at $270 but it is smooth and should handle the equipment. The panning is not as smooth as the M20 with the weight of the Toho along with the extension tube set and my Fuji 450C lens mounted, but who would expect it to?

Here is the link:

http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/Q3.php

By the way, the 2nd attatchment is larger than life size when you click on the image.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Re: Markins Q3 Emille Ball Head

Am I correct tht this head is made in China? It could be great but I am waiting to hear some longer term reports on how well it holds up.

Hi Ted,

The Markins heads are made in South Korea. They are made to very very high machining standards. Markins heads have been making great efforts in reducing vibration in tripods (like the Gitzos) along with their own heads. The Markins heads have been well reviewed by many including at Nikonians:

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...ins/index.html

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Rich,

I have thought they were interesting products since they firts entered the market and,while not cheap, they are certainly competitive. Unfortunately, I have not seen much from LF photographers using them, which is what I would like to see.

I recently decided on a new ballhead to replace a an Acratech, which is great but a bit too light for me. I decided to go wtih the Novoflex Classic Head 3. I saw and tested these last year right after they came out and they have enough innovations to make themvery interesting (e.g. 3 slots instead of the single one all others have).

Hi Ted,

I haven't used the Markins M20 enough at this point, but I do prefer it to my Arca Swiss B1 Ball because my M20 is an L (left handed version) while the Arca Swiss is an R (right handed version). I initially learned to work with the original Arca Swiss Monoballs (right handed versions) for work with long telephoto and long lenses with my 35mm Leica SLRs. That was followed by the small Linhof Profi II which again is an L (left handed version). I never felt comfortable with the Arca Swiss B1 operation because I was always trying to find the controls after learning with the other 2 heads.

I ordered the Markins M20 as a result and have been quite pleased, but as I have indicated, have not used it that much. I like its operation and find it to be at least as strong as the Arca Swiss B1, substantially smaller, and lighter. I did not purchase the Markins Clamp, rather I purchased the Kirk 2 1/2" clamp with the Bubble Level last year when I purchased the head. I would say that the machining, fit, and anodizing of the Markins Heads are very close, equal or possibly even superior to the Arca. I certainly find the M20 for me to be more intuitive to use for working the controls than the Arca B1 due to my original heads. Compared with the Arca Swiss B1, the Markins M20 does not have as many markings (degree markings and still fewer on the Q3) for the panning and there are no numerical values associated with the tension adjustment for the Markins M20 or Q3. I would characterize the Markins M20 (the Q3 is close to the M20) as being about as smooth as the Arca Swiss B1 both in panning and in ball adjustment.

But, I liked the Makins M20 well enough to purchase the smaller Q3 Emille (which includes the Markins QR-48 clamp) for the purpose mentioned and I believe that it should prove quite good for my needs.

I will keep you posted on the usage of both heads as I continue to use them.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

I have the M20 as well, and use it on a Gitzo 1325 for shooting 4x5. It's a wonderful head. I had a bit of problem with the head becoming sticky in cold weather, but a little bit of a wipedown using WD-40 (as recommended by Markins) seems to have solved that.

The M20 is just a tiny bit larger than a Kirk BH-3, and substantially more sturdy. I really like mine.

How do you people use balls heads with view cameras? I tried once and it drove me crazy. Is there some advantage that is unknown to me?

I have a Markins M20 left handed version that I use with an Ebony 8x10. It works great so long as you keep the tension set high enough. With the tension set high, I can move the camera in any single direction without worrying about shifts along another axis. Then, once I tighten it down, there is no creep along any axis. It is also much easier and quicker to set up and much more convenient to travel with that a pan and tilt. The weight is also a blessing.

What Randy said. The problem is that with many ball heads you can't set the tension in such a way that it works well with a LF camera. I found that that it was difficult to get the Acratech tension set right but have no problems with my Foba Superball. With the Foba I set the tension and can basically move the camera at will in whichever direction I choose and not worry about creep. Granted, the Foba is a large head and perhaps that is what you need. It is all personal preference, of course,but I find that I can get the camera levelled very fast with a ballhead and then I lock it down.

When using my Linhof Technikardan 45S and the Markins M20 (or my Arca Swiss B1) ball if I have the ball lose enough when I set up and I can view the levels, I can position the camera and lock it down in position. However, once the ball tension is adjusted properly, as Randy has mentioned, I can adjust the camera forward and backward or left and right separately. I can then lock the camera by tightening the ball and camera position is locked in place.

I will use the Markins Q3 (or even the M20) for my Toho Shimo FC-45X (2 lb 12 oz as modified) or my Mamiya 7II in the same manner as the Technikardan 45S and the M20. For long hikes and backpacking saving the extra 7 oz over the M20 (which already saves much weight over the Arca Swiss B1) will be a blessing. By the way, the Markins Q3 and my Gitzo 1257LVL (3 section leveling Carbon Fiber Tripod) with the short column and hook together only weighs 67.2 oz (4 lb 3.2 oz).

Rich
    Last edited by naturephoto1; 2-Mar-2007 at 10:00.
    Richard A. Nelridge