Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: attaching a digital back to a view camera

Re: attaching a digital back to a view camera

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Or perhaps until some day somebody manages to figure out a reliable and precise way of stacking several smaller sensors into a single large one. Call it a synchronized array or maybe a high resolution array, or something along those lines. After all, astronmers have been doing it for decades with all sorts of sensors. All that would be needed is a little overlap and software to stitch it all up on the fly. I am not an engineer, but I'm sure they could find a way if it was financially feasible.
    There are a few custom sensor array manufacturers. They tend to be mostly for industrial, aerial photography, or military applications. Usually custom software that matches the captures and blends them together. Best I saw so far was a 16MP three CCD module that could be arranged in anything from a 2 by 2 grid to a 3 by 4 grid, limited mostly by data transfer rates over FireWire. Each module contains a splitter prism with separate filtered red, green and blue 24mm by 36mm CCDs. I don't recall the specifics on the software, or how much overlap, though I remember a comment about 3 frames per second capability. Obviously not very portable, compact, nor inexpensive.

Large Format film is still incredibly good. While it might seem to be obsolete technology, as long as some large format film (and processing) are still available we can expect technically good results. Medium format digital backs show up used, or as discount refurbished items, more often every year. While it is tempting to adapt something, the cost is still not insignificant, and focusing accuracy on a ground glass remains an issue.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    I can shift a 65mm Angulon a couple of times (makes it about a 30mm). If I need more wide angle, I do have Canon 24mm. Canon has a shift lens in that lens size as well.
    Not at all trying to get in a pissing match, but wanted to point out with the Pentax 35mm lens I can get a similar coverage as a 17mm in 35mm terms. A massive difference from 30mm.

As I said though, no tilt, no multirow tiling. Movements on your setup look more nicely handled as well. The zoerk does travel easily though!

"the thing is i don't see any elegant solutions out there, especially if you want to visualise scenes for "stiching" using movements etc..."

have a look at www.camerafusion.com. We produce an affordable solution that works well for art reproduction. As well it works in conjunction with a ground glass visualizing compostion, and adjusting view camera movements.

Linhof makes a Hasselblad V adapter back that fits any 4x5 Graflock camera for digital work. Cost is in the high $3xx.00 range.

Although it is fairly obvious, it should be said that scanning backs require special light conditions, and extremely stable white light doesn't come cheap. Apart from that, they do seem to be the answer for art repro.

I have a question of my own - how do I fit a Rollei-mount digital back onto my Arca Swiss? Do I need to get a local shop to build something? I'd rather avoid the headache.

Hi, Jack,

I've seen the color shift issue and the remedy in action. It seems to work pretty well, although it is a hassle having to shoot that second shot.

Does anyone know if this particular issue:
    a) is limited to the P45 back (in the 33+MP digital back arena)?
    b) also occurs with the Hasselblad CF-39 back (also uses the Kodak sensor)?
    c) also occurs with the Sinar and/or Leaf 33MP backs (using the Dalsa sensor)?

Thanks,
    Brad

Hi Adrian, Since the Betterlight scan-backs have been called out by name I guess it''s OK to tell you about another product that might suit your needs. MultiStitch (www.multistitch.com) is a stitching adapter plate for LF use. FULL DISCLOSURE: I am a principal in the company that makes it.
    MultiStitch
    Large format digital capture

Not a "poor man" solution, more of a "poor man that owes some people some money" solution.
    A flatbed scanner with some minor hardware and software ajustments can create a b/w image. An average scanner with, let's say, 1200DPI multiplied with the size of an A4 sheet creates a megapixel image.
    Downside: only for still images unless you like the strange effects it creates. It only creates b/w images unless you make 3 images with colored lenses and photoshop them together with the corresponding colors.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...he-Netherlands

I've worked with a P25 on a Sinar P 4x5. It works really well. I think phase makes the sinar rear standard adapter. Rodenstock digital lens on the front - tethered to a work station.