Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jobo CPP-2 Back in Production?

Re: Jobo CPP-2 Back in Production?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    The price they ask is as if it had "rocket science technology" when all it is hot fish tank with a roller.
    Jobo is a great machine, I used to have one, and hope to have another one day. But, I suspect there probably isn't more than $30 worth of parts in one.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Jobo is a great machine, I used to have one, and hope to have another one day. But, I suspect there probably isn't more than $30 worth of parts in one.
    BINGO!
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    BINGO!
    Ummm, not. I had this discussion with Sam Proud of Jobo once, specifically in relation to the Expert drums, but I'm sure it applies equally to the processors. The basic problem is that the molds that are needed to make the non-generic parts are very expensive relative to the number of units of product that get sold. Much of the retail price goes to pay for this capital equipment and for the distribution and support system, not for the raw plastic or other generic inputs.

I know ....it's supply and demand. There just aren't enough buyers of the product to get the price down like automobiles. Put the title "Photographic" on it and boost another 50% in price.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The basic problem is that the molds that are needed to make the non-generic parts are very expensive relative to the number of units of product that get sold. Much of the retail price goes to pay for this capital equipment and for the distribution and support system, not for the raw plastic or other generic inputs.
    Absolutely. If you have ever been involved in having an injection molding tool made to create a unique product or unique components, it is hard to believe how much it costs. The tool itself is expensive. Then, when you make the parts, you have to run a lot of them, or the per unit cost skyrockets. If you have a low volume item, then you have to recover the cost of running fewer units in the price. If you run a lot of parts, then you have to cover the cost of maintaining a large inventory of relatively slow moving parts. No matter how you cut it, if the sales volume of the finished product is low, then the part cost will be high and the only choice you have is to charge a high price for the final product.

On the other hand, it is true that camera stores often sell things like clamps and other hardware items that are available for a low price at Home Depot or other outlets. The only difference is the place where they are sold and the target market. That is a lot different than Jobo's situation, where the potential market for something like a CPP-2 or similar processor was always pretty small.