Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix Update

Thumbs up Chamonix Update

Haha, no, I don't have one. Was hoping our Chinese liaison's (Kerry?) might give us an update on pricing and availability of these cameras. The chinese site shows some lovely pics but as near as I can tell they're still not for sale. At least I haven't seen them for sale anywhere yet.

Steve, did you get one to review in VC? I vaguely remember you saying that you would.

On my part, I'm interested in the 7x17 model.

Thanks!
    --A

Re: Chamonix Update

Alec,

Both the Chamonix 7x17 and Richard Ritterr's 7x17 are reviewed in the March-April issue of View Camera. In the May-June issue there will be an article on ULF film holders, including those from S&S, AWB and Lotus, and the new holders from Chamonix and from Tachihara (Tachihara in 11x14 only). Both articles by Michael Mutmansky.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Alec,

Both the Chamonix 7x17 and Richard Ritterr's 7x17 are reviewed in the March-April issue of View Camera. In the May-June issue there will be an article on ULF film holders, including those from S&S, AWB and Lotus, and the new holders from Chamonix and from Tachihara (Tachihara in 11x14 only). Both articles by Michael Mutmansky.
    Hopefully with an emphasis on T lock dimensions and compatibility between ULF sheet film holder manufacturers and ULF cameras as this continues to create unintentional havoc among the consuming public.

Cheers!

Their website doesn't have much information there.
    They had 7 X17 model for a while, they are making 4X5 now.
    Quote Originally Posted by alec4444 View Post
    Haha, no, I don't have one. Was hoping our Chinese liaison's (Kerry?) might give us an update on pricing and availability of these cameras. The chinese site shows some lovely pics but as near as I can tell they're still not for sale. At least I haven't seen them for sale anywhere yet.

Steve, did you get one to review in VC? I vaguely remember you saying that you would.

On my part, I'm interested in the 7x17 model.

Thanks!
    --A

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    Their website doesn't have much information there.
    They had 7 X17 model for a while, they are making 4X5 now.
    Were they selling the 7x17 model? I saw pics but no place to purchase. Any idea what the price was on it?

I look forward to the upcoming VC reviews of both the cameras and the filmholders. Would be a shame, however, to read the review only to discover that the Chamonix 7x17s were a one shot deal three months ago.

Also interested in Richard's 7x17...it looks like a LOT of thought went into the function of it. It doesn't look like many other cameras, which makes me think it will perform like a dream. He really did think outside "the box"!

--A

Would someone please post the URL of the Chamonix web site? I can't find where I saved it. Thanks.

Collin Orthner

Try this

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Hopefully with an emphasis on T lock dimensions and compatibility between ULF sheet film holder manufacturers and ULF cameras as this continues to create unintentional havoc among the consuming public.

Cheers!
    Michael,

Sandy stated on the Azo forum last February that S&S, and AWB 7x17 and 8x20 holders were all manufactured to the specifications listed by Canham http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/az...GID=8671&CID=4

I hope this is no longer an issue. I know Richard Ritter told me that his cameras are manufactured to S&S holders. In fact when I was at Richard's place, I'm pretty sure he had holders from both S&S, AWB and Lotus on hand to try out with his camera.
    Last edited by John Bowen; 25-Feb-2007 at 10:45. Reason: clarification

Thanks, Collin. That worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    Michael,

I hope this is no longer an issue. I know Richard Ritter told me that his cameras are manufactured to S&S holders. In fact when I was at Richard's place, I'm pretty sure he had holders from both S&S, AWB and Lotus on hand to try out with his camera.
    There are some slight differnces in specifications of S&S holders and the Canham specifications. Lotus is even more different. I don't know about Chamonix, maybe it is same as Lotus. Perhaps Kerry will comment.

Since the issue was raised I am going to attach a word file that shows current specifications for S&S holders. They apply to all holders made after 9/2006, and to all holders except 7X17 and 12X20 made prior to that date. We are working on a website for S&S and will include these specs in the site when it is up. Richard Ritter has a copy of the S&S specifications and has built several of his camera for our holders. I also sent a copy to Keith Canham, but unless instructed otherwise by a customer I believe he builds to his own specificaitons, which I believe were adopted from AWB.

I think that if you buy a Chamonix camera it would make sense to also buy their holders because you would be assured of the best possible fit.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 25-Feb-2007 at 13:33.