Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scanning issue, help!

Re: Scanning issue, help!

Also, why VueScan? Why not either the dedicated Epson software or Silverfast SE which I assume came with the scanner?

Nothing against VueScan, simply curious if you are having the same problem with other software and if this may be a software artifact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Also, why VueScan? Why not either the dedicated Epson software or Silverfast SE which I assume came with the scanner?

Nothing against VueScan, simply curious if you are having the same problem with other software and if this may be a software artifact.
    I was using VueScan for reading the density values from the negatives. It also has some predefined options for TMAX100 at various contrast levels which seemed to be doing a good job of managing the highlights (or most dense parts of the negative). I can also select the RGB channel to scan from into grayscale thus saving the disk space and time of scanning in RGB and then converting. I am still new to scanning, so I am still not yet set on a workflow. I'll probably give the Espon software another go. The Silverfast seems very unstable. It crashed several times on my G5 and th UI seems less than intuitive. Is there truly a unique feature to Silverfast compared to the Espon package? Considering I just need 4x5 B&W scans?

Thanks,
    -alan

Before you do anything else try what Michael suggests (BTW you might be interested in the scanning workshops he and I run PM me if so). There are many differences in the fullversion of Silverfast (Ai), not so many with the packaged SE. The current Epson software is excellent, IMO better than VueScan.

Alan -- have you disabled sharpening when scanning?

I know very little about scanner construction, but I notice there are three shades of gray along the top edges. It makes me wonder if that might correspond to the three colors, R, G, B.

Perhaps the rgb sensors in the scanner aren't properly aligned? That's kind of a wild guess. You might try scanning the image in color, even though it's a black and white negative, open the image in Photoshop, and see if you observe the same effect in each of the R, G, B channels.

Can you use a strong loop on the negatives and see if you see the effect there? That could rule out anything to do with the scanner.

Or, chromatic abberation??? (I doubt it.) But, something to do with the three colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Alan -- have you disabled sharpening when scanning?
    I didn't have sharpening turned on with this scan (or any scan for that matter).

-alan

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I know very little about scanner construction, but I notice there are three shades of gray along the top edges. It makes me wonder if that might correspond to the three colors, R, G, B.

Perhaps the rgb sensors in the scanner aren't properly aligned? That's kind of a wild guess. You might try scanning the image in color, even though it's a black and white negative, open the image in Photoshop, and see if you observe the same effect in each of the R, G, B channels.

Can you use a strong loop on the negatives and see if you see the effect there? That could rule out anything to do with the scanner.

Or, chromatic abberation??? (I doubt it.) But, something to do with the three colors.
    No, I am scanning to 16-bit grayscale so there is no color info in the scan itself.

It's definitely not on the negative.

It's probably the "dust removal" or multi-scan options of VueScan. I will do some testing a report back to the thread tomorrow.

-alan

George this looks to me like "Digital Ice on a black and white scan" artifacts. I know Vuescan doesn't technically have true Digital Ice software but theirs must be pretty close to DI to be able to use the DI hardware.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Setting "Infrared Clean' from Medium to None in VueScan did the trick. It was also adding the directional blur to the water.

With out Infrared Clean 100% crop

With Infrared Clean 100% crop

Vuescan's Infrared Clean is their version of the Digital Ice software. I knew that would do the trick as I accidentally did the same thing two nights ago with Silverfast!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"